Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Default idle issue

My idle jumps from 700 to 1000 at idle. I tried to post a video but cannot get it to work. I have posted here before with an issue when I take off from a stop that I get a 3-5 second delay sometimes. I am wondering if I need plugs. Just over 20k miles on truck in signature.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Question

gillysmi ... Just over 20k miles on truck in signature.
No signature provided ????? so ... Need vehicle information.

And the year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, etc. of your F-150 is ?????

HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information in your sig' -OR- provide it in your posting(s).
Old 03-15-2015, 04:48 PM

Sorry posted from my phone. 2013 fx4 crew EB. Also, this morning it shook the truck while idling. Pulled it back in the garage and took the car. Going to call dealer in the morning but would like to get some other opinions before they tell me nothing is wrong.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:42 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

What kind of fuel are you Using? Remove plugs and install new ones gapped at .030

Might try a bottle of isoheat(incase you have water in fuel) and some higher octane fuel
The following users liked this post:
gillysmi (03-15-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 07:04 PM

update- got the truck in to the dealer finally today. got what I expected. they couldn't replicate it. they did say there was a ecm update that they did. I showed them the video of what I experience but they obviously cannot do anything unless the computer says there is a problem.

so I got in the truck and guess what. rpms went from 500 to 1500 multiple times and the truck shook a little bit. I was so mad I just left. to top it off the second stop sign I was at I pushed on the throttle to take off and whala!!! damn thing sat there for 5 seconds then decided to take off.

I am not sure what to do now. guess its time to bite the bullet and get something else before I get killed trying to cross an intersection.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 PM
King Hater

If it did it in the parking lot I would have went and got the service writer. Your next option is to take it to a different dealership.

Did you ever check your spark plug gap? How about answering the other questions about octane and running isoheat.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:13 PM

I was so pissed I knew if I went back I would have made an *** out of myself. I will stop back tomorrow and talk to him. I have not run isoheat will try to get some tomorrow. I normally run 89 octane with 10% ethanol. since the new regs on gas came ethanol free 91 octane is 50 to 60 cents higher.

I did mention to him that I read some problems of spark plug gap and he told me that they have never had an issue with it. I will bring it up again tomorrow when I talk with him. I know the GM pretty well I think I will escalate it to get him involved as well.

Last edited by gillysmi; 03-23-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 PM
King Hater

I would just do the plugs yourself. It takes about an hour or so and you only need basic tools. A lot of the dealerships are lazy and dont care or dont know about these little "fixes".

Its worth a shot.
gillysmi (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Don't think its as easy as plugs. Mine has always had rough idle and that hesitation sometimes taking off from a stop. Right now my idle is low, but needle bounces around. 106k miles right now. I've done plugs 5 times...new coils...new map sensors...boost control solenoid...new timing chain, tensioner, and guides, etc

I think there's an oil pressure issue in these trucks, they said my oil pressure was below min at idle. Which throws timing off, leading to these issues.

I am in the process of researching this more, because it can no longer be blamed on the timing chain its brand new
gillysmi (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by gillysmi
My idle jumps from 700 to 1000 at idle. I tried to post a video but cannot get it to work. I have posted here before with an issue when I take off from a stop that I get a 3-5 second delay sometimes. I am wondering if I need plugs. Just over 20k miles on truck in signature.

Thanks
Sorry posted from my phone. 2013 fx4 crew EB. Also, this morning it shook the truck while idling. Pulled it back in the garage and took the car. Going to call dealer in the morning but would like to get some other opinions before they tell me nothing is wrong.
update- got the truck in to the dealer finally today. got what I expected. they couldn't replicate it. they did say there was a ecm update that they did. I showed them the video of what I experience but they obviously cannot do anything unless the computer says there is a problem.

so I got in the truck and guess what. rpms went from 500 to 1500 multiple times and the truck shook a little bit. I was so mad I just left. to top it off the second stop sign I was at I pushed on the throttle to take off and whala!!! damn thing sat there for 5 seconds then decided to take off.

I am not sure what to do now. guess its time to bite the bullet and get something else before I get killed trying to cross an intersection.
Thanks for reaching out, gillysmi. What's the current mileage on your truck? As was mentioned in the thread, visiting another local dealer for a second opinion is always an option; they're independently owned and operated, so you're free to contact another.

Something else I suggest is that you get a recording of the symptom. While it doesn't guarantee a diagnosis, it could provide some clarity for the service department. If you do decide to do this, please be safe and have a passenger record if you're in the driver's seat!

Brittany

Quick Reply: idle issue