Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

idea for octane experiment for ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default idea for octane experiment for ecoboost

since ford says eco performs better and gives better mpg towing while running premium

" Under normal trailer tow conditions, the Ecoboost offers a clear fuel economy advantage over th 5.0 and 6.2L engines. The advantage may be reduced in steep grades and very high ambient temperatures if regular fuel is used." -this was from phil one of the ford engineers

Why don't somebody put in regular unleaded and tow a heavy load, then dump in a bottle of octane booster to up the octane and tow the same load right after that. wind and other conditions would be the same. If mpg went up the mystery is solved. this would solve the problem of having to run 2 or 3 tanks of premium to get all of the 87 out of the tank, you would have an instant octane boost and computer should show it on mpg indicator.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

octane boost is unreliable it says it will raise octane ratings up to 7 all the way to 15 points! it might give a good 2 to 3 points boost in octane but i dont trust it
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Octane booster is snake oil.
A few ounces of liquid cannot change up the whole chemical makeup of several gallons of fuel, the stoichiometry does not add up. Just buy premium at the pump and test it.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by usmc_berkeley
octane boost is unreliable it says it will raise octane ratings up to 7 all the way to 15 points! it might give a good 2 to 3 points boost in octane but i dont trust it
this should work just fine. works for dragracers. http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=8&loc=show

you can't just put a tank of premium in because you will have several gals of regular unleaded left which would dilute it down
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Two different towing trips I took, I tried a tank with 87 and a tank with 93. I started with the 87. Both times the 93 was a solid 1.2 mpg better. At the next fill up with 87 mileage went down accordingly. When you're traveling hundreds of miles that just about evens out.

I have also tried it when unloaded, but I am not finding a measurable difference when empty. But admittedly I have not been able to recreate the same driving habits and terrain when empty so it really doesn't mean much. I've decided to just run 93 all the time, the difference in price per fill up is minimal at about $6 more. But I also don't fill up every week or drive it every day.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by spdmpo
Two different towing trips I took, I tried a tank with 87 and a tank with 93. I started with the 87. Both times the 93 was a solid 1.2 mpg better. At the next fill up with 87 mileage went down accordingly. When you're traveling hundreds of miles that just about evens out.

I have also tried it when unloaded, but I am not finding a measurable difference when empty. But admittedly I have not been able to recreate the same driving habits and terrain when empty so it really doesn't mean much. I've decided to just run 93 all the time, the difference in price per fill up is minimal at about $6 more. But I also don't fill up every week or drive it every day.
Thanks, useful information. How hot was it, as ford says that it loses efficiency when hot. so if it wasn't upper 90's yet, the mpg difference may be even better.

thanks again

Quick Reply: idea for octane experiment for ecoboost