Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

I think my 11 EcoBoost blew up today

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I think my 11 EcoBoost blew up today

Happy mini-vacation....

After years of wanting to get back into a Ford I pinched pennies paid stuff off and eventually took a beating trading in my Armada on my '11 EcoBoost XLT in November of 12. I bought it with 10k on it...I think it died today with 20200 miles on it.

After getting the truck I noticed the mileage getting worse and worse and worse. I couple weeks ago the airbag light started flashing sporadically here and there then it quit. The my SYNC started acting screwing and dropping my phone connection.

Then after seeing numerous posts about the sudden loss of power on acceleration and thinking, hmmm...glad mine never does that....until a couple weeks ago on a long drive (100 miles) to take my daughter to the hospital in the rain. It did it one time merging ontot he interstate in heavy rain. The check engine light flashed for a couple seconds then went out and the truck ran fine. I ran a code scan and there were 3 misfire codes showing. It rained all the way to the hospital and all the way home but it never did it again. Since then I've driven it daily to and from work (95% stop and go) and still no problems.

Then today...I load up the truck bed full of gear to take my family to the Outer Banks for 3 days of relaxation. The past 2 days in VA have been like living in southeast asia during monsoon season raining non stop.

After making it a little over an hour from home one of my daughters needs somehting to drink to take her meds so we exit the highway for a Mickey D's Sweet Tea. Truck idles in the lot for about 6 minutes and we make our way back to the highway.

As I am merging into a 65mph zone from the ramp i mash the gas onyl to be met with a sudden loss of all power, a rediculous vibration in the steering wheel followed by POP!

I get a big puff of smoke out the tail pipe and at this point im on the roadway in the right lane with traffic barreling down on me in the rain...AND...we are now along side the next entrance ramp with a tractor trailer moving roughly 50-55 mph trying to merge into my lane...Did I mention the motor apparently just blew????

I end up nearly loosing the bed of the truck to the front bumper of the tractor trailer as i limp to the shoulder with what sounds like a coffee can full of gravel under my hood and a huge picture of a wrench now clearly showing where my crappy fuel mileage had just been displayed.

Once the truck driver goes by shooting me the bird I get out and smell hot oil. I look under the truck and see oil dripping from the right rear side of the motor.

After 30 minutes of working thru the roadside assistance prompts Im told a wrecker will be sent. By now the rain had stopped and the temperature has sky rocketed, my 2 girls are going bananas and crying because they dont know whats going on and they are terrified since we are on the white line on the shoulder of the road with traffic wizzing by at 65+. After 30 minutes of this I called the local police department (thanks Lynchburg PD for helping out!) who sends an Officer out and transports my family to the next exit and gets them to a Kohls so they can wait it out in the A/C. 45 minutes later the wrecker arrives and loads my truck up for the long ride home.

After returning home an hour in the wrong direction and reloading everything into the enormous trunk of my wifes '10 Fusion sport we set off again and 14 hours after our 6 hour trip began we made it to NC with the kids missing all the fireworks. Man I sure was looking forward to a nice ride on the beach up to Coralla and Duck....

Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 AM
BMD

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry hopefully ford will just put a new crate motor in it.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Make sure it is a complete motor as it sounds as the worsening mileage may indicate bad injectors flooding the cylinders.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Damn bro so sorry to hear that. Keep us posted and if I can help in any way you know where to find me.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Lots of details in the story. Like Reading a novel not a forum post. You've got sweat tea, high temps, and missed fireworks all in there. Sorry about your truck. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Sitedrifter (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Can you get some pics of the damage? Also when the engine does get replaced insist on then replacing it with a longblock not just a short block complete with new heads and fuel system. I have a feeling the reason the mileage has been steadily declining is due to the fuel system. I'd bet on a cracked injector tip over fueling the cylinder(s) causing a hydrolock situation. That's a rampant problem with common-rail diesels since they run a very high fuel pressure also.

Someone on here not too long ago had a similar problem. Engine blows, they replaced the short block (retaining the original heads and fuel system) then not too long after that it blew up again. After that he got a new longblock and it was fixed
Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Lots of details in the story. Like Reading a novel not a forum post. You've got sweat tea, high temps, and missed fireworks all in there. Sorry about your truck. Keep us posted.
When you spend all day responding to calls and filing police reports you find some times the little details make all the difference on court day.

Maybe ill become a writer when I retire and actually make some $$$

Bucket...I might need a tow vehicle for mustang week!

The good news so far....while out on the beach the today I got a call from the stealership informing me that Engine has a hole in the block. Broken rod broken piston...AND a new engine already ordered....expected in by Tuesday and will try to have me going next Friday....which is when I leave for Mustang week!

Fingers crossed!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Bucket....sending u a pm on a case...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Chevy Eater

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, hearing **** like this makes me want to trade my truck in. You're certainly not the first. Even my buddy has a very pronounced ticking noise from the top of the valvetrain on His ecoboost. Will post a video soon on a separate thread
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyocon
Man, hearing **** like this makes me want to trade my truck in. You're certainly not the first. Even my buddy has a very pronounced ticking noise from the top of the valvetrain on His ecoboost. Will post a video soon on a separate thread
I know how you feel. However, I keep reminding myself that I worked at a very busy truck accessory shop for over ten years. In that time I've seen lemons and blown up motors from just about every mfg. I also have a few friends who are techs at various dealers. I listen to their stories as well.

That being said, I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gone the NA route. Sometimes simple is better.

BTW, love your avitar!

Quick Reply: I think my 11 EcoBoost blew up today