Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

I have a theory on the Condensation/Shudder issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I have a theory on the Condensation/Shudder issue

After pulling the CAC and inspecting the charge pipes, I found that the driver's side pipe (bottom pipe) was noticeably wet prior to entering the CAC at all. On the other hand, the passenger side pipe (top pipe) was completely dry.

While I do consider that the driver's side pipe is longer, allowing for water to condense more than the passenger side, the stark differences between the two, accompaning the fact that the intake tube right out of the airbox is completely dry as well, leads me to believe that the condensation is coming from only the driver's side turbo, and has nothing to do with either the PCV system or the intake. I also have an RX dual can installed, so the only other possibility is that water is being evaporated from the can into the driver's side turbo inlet pipe...but this is unlikely as the can is filtered and pulling the right vacuum line (running to the driver's side inlet) on the can showed no clear evidence of water.

I believe that either there is a poor/loose fitting on the charge pipe and/or the driver's side turbo inlet pipe that allows the vacuum under boost to pull in moisture. This would explain why some Ecoboosts demonstrate the shudder issue and some dont.

If anyone has been experiencing the shudder issue (regardless if you've already drilled a weep hole or not) and would be willing to test this theory on another specimen by pulling your CAC and inspecting the charge pipe outlets, please post your results!

Last edited by redcelica; 01-03-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Condensation vs pulling in moisture from a loose fitting are 2 different things. All air will condensate if the ambient temp matches dew point. Adding pressure increases the dew point. So if its 32 degrees outside...and intake air is 35 degrees with a dew point of say 30 degrees...pressure can raise the dew point to the ambient temp of 32../that's when condensation forms. It has nothing to do with moisture getting into the system. All air has moisture and that moisture can condensate out of the air given the right conditions
Old 01-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then how does that explain why one charge pipe was dry while the other was wet? Did you have the issue and did the aFe CAC fix it if so?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

It could still be one or the other, just stating it would be two separate issues and explaining how condensation works.

It could be that the drivers side pipe is longer, allowing the air to cool in that pipe during its travel more than the passenger side. But most likely condensation is also taking place in the IC.

I did have the issue several times with the stock IC. Then came the revised IC with the blocker plate, pulled the plate off and drilled the hole. Never had the issue after that...but when I removed it and put the afe in, it was full of water. The afe does good and have not experienced the issue with it, but you have to pull the plug out sometimes and clean it out, particularly in winter when the oil gets thicker and the water can freeze

Quick Reply: I have a theory on the Condensation/Shudder issue