Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Hypermiling an EcoBoost (might have been posted before)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Hypermiling an EcoBoost (might have been posted before)

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/12...-a-ford-f-150/

I do some hypermiling techniques when I feel it is safe...I will have to say that true hypermiling is a bit tedious at times but some methods will save you fuel and it costs you nothing.

I found it very interesting that "Wayne" could actually squeeze near 36 gallons into a 26 gallon tank!!!

When I raced Miatas for Mazda (Spec Class) at the 24 hours of Moroso ect. We would cut down the filler neck and reinstall and gain about 4 gallons quickly.

***Not a big fan of "smart braking" because it puts undue stress on the auto tran***

Last edited by DieselDawg; 02-07-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Some very easy tricks to save fuel that are safe.

Pull thru parking spaces so you are facing out...negating the need to reverse and then pull forward...but don't spend too much time looking for parking.

Try to look far down the road for situations that will cause you to slow down and use your brakes. Timing lights ect. so you don't have to come to a complete stop is beneficial.

EOC (Engine off coasting of FAS by some) can be done but for most it would be better to just Neutral Coast whenever possible (safely).

Just putting your tranny in Neutral at stops burns less fuel than leaving it in drive. Leaving it in drive loads the TC and that uses more fuel. If you know your at a very long light and you arrived at the beggining of the cycle you can turn off your engine (just remember that your engine is off and try to restart a few seconds before you will be moving).

There are so many more common sense ways like slowing down overall speed, combining trips (don't do one errand at a time...combine for a warmer engine) and even stopping the cold air flow to your intake. A warmer air intake (especially in the winter months) will increase your MPG.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

actually coasting in neutral on new vehicles can use more fuel. A lot of new vehicles start shutting down cylinders when in a coast or hill situation, in neutral all clyinders run at idle.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^ This is a Ford F150 forum............... not a Dodge Ram forum......... dont post nonense that is completely false with regards to this engine.

We have too many members on this forum that will take stuff like that as absolute truths......

Interesting read Ddawg...............

Last edited by gimmie11s; 02-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM

EOC (Engine Off Coasting) definitely saves fuel...Coasting in Neutral for a long while will save fuel but still be adding some fuel...Coasting in gear (after a few seconds) will burn NO FUEL. It will depend on the situation which works best at the time.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by taylori
actually coasting in neutral on new vehicles can use more fuel. A lot of new vehicles start shutting down cylinders when in a coast or hill situation, in neutral all clyinders run at idle.
Its been that way since the inception of modern EFI. Keeps the cylinders from loading up with fuel when the throttle is closed and causing a backfire or causing the converters to overheat from all of the fuel.

Driving smart is the best way to save gas, just avoid the sudden stops and starts.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
EOC (Engine Off Coasting) definitely saves fuel...Coasting in Neutral for a long while will save fuel but still be adding some fuel...Coasting in gear (after a few seconds) will burn NO FUEL. It will depend on the situation which works best at the time.
Exactly right!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmie11s
^^^ This is a Ford F150 forum............... not a Dodge Ram forum......... dont post nonense that is completely false with regards to this engine.

We have too many members on this forum that will take stuff like that as absolute truths......

Interesting read Ddawg...............
yes we do have many uninformed members on this forum. How does it feel to be one?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like a HUGE pain in the butt!!!
If I couldn't afford to drive a truck I would not have bought one.

It may be unlawful to drive with the engine off.
Around here, it is unlawful to drive below the posted speed limit and hold up traffic.
Destroying the tranny will cost you thousands of dollars - more than you could ever save on gas.

Those pantywaist techniques are not for me. I love the feel and sound of a V8.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM

I agree that some of the techniques are a PITA...others just take a little gettin' used to for some extra mpgs...others are technically illegal.

The best way to get better mpgs is to adjust the "nut behind the wheel".

For the people with 26 gallon tanks and want to skip the high priced stations between trips like El Paso and San Antonio,,,taking a bit of extra time and pushing a few extra gallons in the tank might save them some $$$.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling an EcoBoost (might have been posted before)