Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

How would I know if my Ecoboost turbo was going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How would I know if my Ecoboost turbo was going bad

How would I know if one of my turbos in my ecoboost were going bad?

-Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I've heard that a hamster wheel-like noise under load prior to shifting is a good indicator. I have that myself and plan to have the dealer take a look. The process is to disconnect the turbo output hoses and check for metal shavings and excessive play in the shaft.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

When a 5.0 passes you

BOOOM, yeah, THAT JUST HAPPENED

Sorry, couldn't resist, I have no value to add to this thread.
The following users liked this post:
THINKLIKEAHORSE (10-02-2022)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I've blown my fair share of turbos in other cars I've owned, mostly drag cars, but there are a lot of different ways and symptoms that can occur depending on how it actually blows.

1. Obviously boost could fall off and have a slower response but other than your "feeling" of it spooling slower, you would have to have a boost gauge to be able to notice that.

2. When bearings/seals go, oil will bypass the CHRA housing and smoke out the exhaust when you are idling or cruising. Giant smokescreen of grey/blue smoke. Fuel is black so please don't confuse the two. Coolant is white, fuel is black, and oil is grey/bluish color. It also has a distinct smell to it.

3. If it blows bad enough, the wheel(s) can touch the sides of the housings and scrape and make a horrendous noise with a metal on metal sound. It would be VERY obvious if this were the case.

4. Lastly, and usually the easiest way on some turbos (maybe not so much on the EB due to turbo location) is to check for the play in the wheel and shaft of the turbo. Side to side for sure, but a few mm here and there is ok on that. The true way to tell is to grab the wheel by the nut in the middle and try to pull it out the front of the intake and then try to push it back into the exhaust. There should be ZERO play forward and backward like that and if there is any, it will need to be rebuilt. On cars I've worked on and had, that was only a matter of popping the hood and spending 10 seconds to check. Obviously this would be harder in the EB because of the location of the turbos.

Those are just a few ways really. There are other, less likely, issues and ways to check them, but in my 15 years experience building, owning, driving, and tuning turbo vehicles, those are the most common.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

UR going to loose performance rather nastily and have stuff in the area toward the CAC mainly.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with the above posters..........What we have seen in our fleet are mainly 2 things......

1- Considerable loss of power. Truck feels sluggish, hesitates and feels quit lazy. Very noticeable on hills. Some drivers thought they just needed a tune-up.

2- As described by SkiSmuggs......turbo starts getting noisy.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It should throw a CEL with an under boost code, if one turbo is going out the other turbo can not make up for the lost boost. If you have excessive play in the shaft from a bad thrust bearing you MAY and I say that loosely be able to hear the impeller hitting the compressor housing.
The following users liked this post:
rabies (01-28-2021)
Old 06-01-2023, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad turbos

Originally Posted by shogangp
How would I know if one of my turbos in my ecoboost were going bad?

-Thanks
One way to tell is your tailpipe has what looks like condensation on a cold day. It is actually oil being sucked out of your engine due to leaking turbo gaskets and out through your tailpipe.... DO NOT DRIVE IT IF THIS IS HAPPENING. IT WILL BLOW UP YOUR ENGINE... Trust me it happened to me with my 2017 Expedition. Totaled my engine and done with Ford forever!!!
Lee
Old 06-10-2023, 08:12 PM

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB;[url=tel:3251624
3251624]There should be ZERO play forward and backward like that and if there is any, it will need to be rebuilt. .
Pulled my turbos last December to replace coolant jiffy fittings and lines. Could not find a turbo shaft end play spec. Both of mine measured.0015” cold. I expect that approaches zero when hot. Put them back in. Do they need to be rebuilt? If so that’s ok by me. 190k on the clock. Thanks

2011 XLT Screw 4x4 3.5L 3:55Ls
Old 01-06-2024, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

I’ve got 35 11.5. 20r wheels on my 2013 f150 fx4 right now and I get 10.8 mpg. Is that right or is that wrong. I occasionally hear my turbo drivers side turbo sound like a kazoo for a split second when I’m accelerating quickly. Is that a sign for a new turbo or is it the tires messing up my mpg?

Quick Reply: How would I know if my Ecoboost turbo was going bad