Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

How can I get rid of the Ecoboost hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How can I get rid of the Ecoboost hesitation?

I am wondering if my 2012 FX4 Ecoboost has more of a throttle hesitation than others! I have not had the chance to drive any other trucks with the Ecoboost. I am coming from a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 and it ran very good but I needed a change, I had an 07 tundra also. I really like the new Ford its just the lag and hesitation is driving me nuts. I am alittle scared to pull out in traffic, once it gets going if runs great but that whole get going from a dig stinks. The other hesitation I am feeling is when your cruising and then you give it some throttle it hunts around before going. I am not sure if im being picky because of the instant throttle response of the Tundra or does my ford have a lazy pedal????????? I am new to the forum, and no im not a troll. Thanks guys
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try giving it 3/4 throttle instead of full, has a quicker response that way
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried that and it is just very very soft coming out of the hole. I am wondering if a CAI would help spin the turbos earlier? There is gentlemen I talked to yesterday and he said his ecoboost it very peppy which makes me think there is something not right with mine. I have 1667 miles on mine now.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

mine seems to respond better to a gradual throttle increase rather than putting it to floor. it is very wierd and hard to understand lol
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I have found that if you give it moderate acceleration before giving it full throttle it responds better. It will sometimes surprise because it chirps when making it's first gear shift!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Life begins after 20psi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I know what your talking about, I've found that DBW is a tad slower from vehicle to vehicle depending on the brand, not sure if the Toyota trucks are DBW or TC, but going from one brand to the other I noticed a lot of "hesitation" my 97 Toyota is TC and it gives me instant acceleration, but when I get into the truck it's just like what your talking about but you just have to get used to it. I had a Honda about 4 years ago and it's DBW wasn't as hesitant, but then again we are talking about fractions of a second here, just feels more because it's in the middle of us trying to take off in traffic

If you didn't know
DBW=Drive By Wire
TC= Throttle Cable

They also make DBW controllers, but this will not illiminate the delay, it may help but only at a minimal result

Last edited by BoostJunky; 05-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM

If you've never owned a turbo charged vehicle, it will take some getting used to. Your truck has low miles and the4 hesitation may improve in time. I have heard from others saying the CAI does help with spool-up off the line, so you may want to check that out if you don't see an improvement.
Also there are tuners out there like Five Star which may give you what your looking for.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i remember reading somewhere that in one of the software updates they changed some stuff around to improve torque management, maybe they purposely did it to avoid tire spin?
The following users liked this post:
tagle281 (09-12-2016)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Life begins after 20psi

It could also be from the traction control system keeping everything at a wheel spin free take off, try doing it with it off

Also, on the turbo lag side, I can understand a little but not a whole lot being as the truck makes great power pretty fast, but that might be part of what he's feeling
Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not sure if it's possible to totally eliminate the hesitation. My '05 was my first drive by wire pickup and I noticed it's hesitation when I first got it...then I got used to it.

My EB seems to have about the same, if not a smidgen more. I would attribute it to drive by wire combined with turbo lag, with a bit of the torque management/traction control playing a part as well.

While the turbos spool up surprisingly fast compared to other applications I've been in with turbos...there will still inherently be some degree of turbo lag. This is unavoidable. They are turbos, not superchargers.

This whole conversation is somewhat subjective...your "fast response" and my "fast response" are undoubtedly two different things. You need to drive someone else's Ecoboost and verify for yourself.

Best way I can describe what I feel regarding hesitation...if I punch it, I have just enough time to smile at my passenger before it launches and snaps them back in their seat. To this degree I feel the hesitation is unavoidable and simply nature of the beast.

Quick Reply: How can I get rid of the Ecoboost hesitation?