Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

high idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle speed

2011 Scab 5.0L

When I put the truck in drive and press on the accelarator the engine acts as though it has a choke and will not idle back down it will just stay at what ever rpm I ran the engine up to. This does not happen when it is in reverse or park, just drive and it happens everytime I press lightly on the accelarator. I took it back to the dealer and on their first attempt they didn't fix it their second attempt will be Wednesday, but in the mean time does anybody know what may cause this?

I moved this tread here after posting it in the general section.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Hey,

I work at Advance Auto Parts and I see this problem frequently. 9 out of 10 times it ends up being either the TPS or the IAT, Throttle positioning sensor or Intake air temperature. The TPS lets the ecu know what position your throttle blade is that so it knows if you are trying to accelerate, coast or deccelerate. Accordingly it then calculates the amount of fuel needed in the cylinders based on your IAT which measures the temp on the intake charge and corresponds to a certain air density value allowing the ecu to know the amount of oxygen in the air that your truck is breathing. If either of them malfunctions then the ecu doesn't know what you're trying to do with the car as far as speed going so you do not get the proper amount of fuel and your car is in a "limp mode" or a fail safe mode so that you don't lean out and cause damage (too much air, not enough fuel). Similarly if the IAT is bad then the ecu doesn't know the density of the air and cannot properly calculate the amount of fuel needed to supply proper power so you will feel a similar power loss in the "limp mode".

Hope that helps a bit, the tech's at the dealer likely tried those first.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM

If anyone is interested please see check in the general discussion side.

Quick Reply: high idle speed