Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Helping out my Dad

Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Helping out my Dad

Good eve, so I have. 2015 F150 and have spent some time over on that forum.

My dad just picked up a 2012 XLT Ecoboost with 45K

I have poured over these forums and my head is spinning.

Is there some general things that I should be looking at, and some future things I can prepare to help him with?

Thanks for anything that helps out
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Ecoboosts suffer from the engine shudder. It happens when water builds up in the intercooler and when you hammer down on the throttle, that water gets sucked up into the motor.

You can eliminate this by drilling a small weep hole in the intercooler. It allows the water to drain out over time and not accumulate.

They also can suffer from fuel in oil and a noise upon startup. The fuel can be caused by the high pressure fuel pump leaking and the noise is caused by cam phasers and timing chain. Both has TSBs out there that deal with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tothemax:
#1Kidder (01-28-2016), 93CobraOH (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought mine brand new in December 2013. It now has 75,000 miles on it & the only thing I did to it so far is replace the spark plugs at 40,000 & gapped them down to .030 as it is recommended on these motors. They are very easy to change plugs on. I have never experienced the condensation issue but from what ive read I think it is caused by lots of light throttle (low boost) driving. I also removed the factory plastic shield that ford puts over the upper section of the intercooler & still never an issue. Ive been tuned since 11,000 miles with an SCT 91 tune & at 65,000 miles I ordered a 5 star performance 91 tune.
The following users liked this post:
#1Kidder (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Ecoboosts suffer from the engine shudder. It happens when water builds up in the intercooler and when you hammer down on the throttle, that water gets sucked up into the motor. You can eliminate this by drilling a small weep hole in the intercooler. It allows the water to drain out over time and not accumulate. They also can suffer from fuel in oil and a noise upon startup. The fuel can be caused by the high pressure fuel pump leaking and the noise is caused by cam phasers and timing chain. Both has TSBs out there that deal with it.

Can Phasers!!!! Hate those darn things. Hoped they went away when the 5.4 dies
Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by #1Kidder
Can Phasers!!!! Hate those darn things. Hoped they went away when the 5.4 dies
Everyone has cam phasers. 5.0, 3.5 etc. VVT.

OP, basically, tell him to enjoy it. There are very few issues with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine relative to how many people own it. The most common being the intercooler condensation.

Tell him he made a solid choice and to enjoy the truck. You guys will run into more issues with the rest of the truck than with the engine itself, and there aren't too many issues in general.

Really, there's no reason to "prep" for what might go wrong. Not all engines have the issues described, and it'd be silly to get ready for them, whatever that means. I wouldn't start stockpiling parts expecting something to break.
The following 2 users liked this post by safetypin:
#1Kidder (01-31-2016), BCMIF150 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by safetypin
Everyone has cam phasers. 5.0, 3.5 etc. VVT. OP, basically, tell him to enjoy it. There are very few issues with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine relative to how many people own it. The most common being the intercooler condensation. Tell him he made a solid choice and to enjoy the truck. You guys will run into more issues with the rest of the truck than with the engine itself, and there aren't too many issues in general. Really, there's no reason to "prep" for what might go wrong. Not all engines have the issues described, and it'd be silly to get ready for them, whatever that means. I wouldn't start stockpiling parts expecting something to break.
Thanks for the insight!

It's the 5.4's I've had in the past that I would "prep" for, one being cam phasers the other 2 piece spark plugs.

Thanks for everyone's help so far

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helping out my Dad