Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Help Pick out my Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Help Pick out my Ecoboost

Hey first off my name is Lanny and I live in Canada!
Im planning on buying a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost FX4 but need a little help!
I havent done all my homework like previous vehicles before buying, but I do know a little and really its a ford so you cant go wrong

So the help I will be needing will be for the upgrades or if anyone knows what I should or should not buy?

buying with in the week I hope!
Plan:
2011 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost FX4
-6.5 bed
-Blue Flame Matalic? Race Red? Tux Black? (Still not sure)
-$500 Max Trailer Tow Package (tow my Jap car)
-$2,250 FX Luxury PKG
-$1,000 3.5l V6 Ecoboost
-20" Wheels
-$350 Upgrade tire size 20"
-$350 Remote Start

maybe:
-$1,300 Powermoon Roof
-$400 Running Boards

with all rebates Im looking at around $45,000 cdn

I also want a Tunnel Cover and Box Lining jut need to do some more research!

I wouldnt mind tuning this with two maps, one for better fuel economy and another for power to see what she can do at the track!

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like you got her figured out. I will tell you though, as will the next 100 posters that tuning is not really going to be feasible atleast until warranty is gone. The ecu is encrypted so they void warranty if you've had it programmed. Personally I am likely to tune before warranty is up. I think the 20" fx4 wheels are the nicest available on these but I didn't want the ride or tire cost associated. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GO ON 3
I havent done all my homework like previous vehicles before buying, but I do know a little and really its a ford so you cant go wrong

So the help I will be needing will be for the upgrades or if anyone knows what I should or should not buy?

Plan:
-6.5 bed
-$2,250 FX Luxury PKG
-$1,000 3.5l V6 Ecoboost
-20" Wheels
-$350 Remote Start

maybe:
-$1,300 Powermoon Roof
-$400 Running Boards

I wouldnt mind tuning this with two maps, one for better fuel economy and another for power to see what she can do at the track!

If you have frost heaved roads like we have in Minnesota, you may want to consider 18" wheels. The 20" wheels are bouncy and the ride isn't as smooth.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by borjeb
Looks like you got her figured out. I will tell you though, as will the next 100 posters that tuning is not really going to be feasible atleast until warranty is gone. The ecu is encrypted so they void warranty if you've had it programmed. Personally I am likely to tune before warranty is up. I think the 20" fx4 wheels are the nicest available on these but I didn't want the ride or tire cost associated. Good luck.
Ya I just read up on the tuning secton.. damn that sucks
and thanks man!!

Originally Posted by EricTheOracle
If you have frost heaved roads like we have in Minnesota, you may want to consider 18" wheels. The 20" wheels are bouncy and the ride isn't as smooth.
Humm I guess tomorrow Ill have to see what I like better!
For the Winters I would buy 18"s with some nice snows!

Wow I have been researching this F150 and I have no idea what I want for color :S another thing Ill have to see at the dealer ship.... IM a blue guy but dont think the Car matching the truck is anything I want!

Here is a pic of my Car
2010 Evo X

Stock Turbo, with 16k invested, most parts towards circuit racing, but going to his the drag strip this weekend and try for high 11's

Was thinking about selling it and getting a GT500 or Boss 302, but prob wouldnt get the 302 bc I know top secret that there is a 429 coming out that not 2 many ppl know about They wont let anyone know untill the 302s are sold... or so I have been told!

Last edited by GO ON 3; 04-28-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same connundrum. My thinking was this.. Race red new color for 2011 I wonder if it willcarry over to 2012 or be one year wonder could be bad because people see the same colors over and over but when a stange color is seen they either say cool or blah. The same with the Blue flame. I do like them but considered them falling out of favor down the road as I tend to keep vehicles awhile. So my choice was the Tuxedo Black. It is metallic but still Black a perenial favorite and old standby just like the Dark Blue, White and Dark Red, I am not sure why there is not a dark Green offered any longer. But anyway the one color I wish that would have made year to year production was the Yellow that was offered on the 2004 FX. I would have chosen that color hands down over any other if it was still available. Maybe If my 2011 ever needs a paint job I would consider that color. I would definately be a one of a kind.
Also keep in mind the Tuxedo Black looks beautiful when shining clean but shows dirt very easily.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM

18" will give better winter traction if you get winters like i do due to the types of tires used. Also cheaper to replace rubber.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GO ON 3

Plan:
-6.5 bed
-$2,250 FX Luxury PKG
-$1,000 3.5l V6 Ecoboost
-20" Wheels
-$350 Remote Start

maybe:
-$1,300 Powermoon Roof
-$400 Running Boards

FYI... The sunroof is pretty damned tiny for such a large roof. I believe the roll-over cage prevents it from being much larger. That's my guess at least.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

i love my sunroof. its normal size, just not oversized like some SUVS have now-a-days.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM

+1 on 18" wheels. You can get winter tires in the OEM size (275/65R18) for the 18" wheels - the Michelin LTX Winter tires. But if you opt for the 20" wheels, there are no winter specific tires in the 275/55R20 size. Plus the 18" are much lighter than the 20" so you'll get the additional acceleration boost that you seem to like from the lower unsprung mass.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan Vac
18" will give better winter traction if you get winters like i do due to the types of tires used. Also cheaper to replace rubber.

He said he was from Canada. I think that sums it up for snow except if you live in Vancouver lol!!!! Then look for good rain tires if ya do !!! A guy I work with has 20's on his FX4 and he paid a ton of dough to replace them. If ya live on a border city like I do then you might order 20's. I don't know if you'll find snowys for 20 inch rims though. My wife would only allow me to buy either Flame Blue or Sterlling Grey. We have five F150's on the street and that was the onlt 2 colours left hehe!!!

Last edited by Ghosthex13; 04-28-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Pick out my Ecoboost