Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Gallons left in tank?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Gallons left in tank?

I have a 2011 FX4 EB and as an example, when the miles to empty shows 8 miles or less to empty and I fill up it only takes 21 gl. give or take 4 or 5 tenths to fill it. The amount it takes always matches the gallons the tripometer says I have used. In other words if it takes 21 gl to fill it the tripometer says I used 21 gal. After I fill up the miles to empty always shows less than 400 miles to empty which is way less than what it should read to be accurate.

Anyone else experience this? If so, did you find a way to correct it? Can the dealer correct this with a computer reset? Any help would be appreciated. I can always go by the tripometer to know how many gl I have left in the tank rather than the miles to empty readout, but it would be nice if it was accurate
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguy1946
I have a 2011 FX4 EB and as an example, when the miles to empty shows 8 miles or less to empty and I fill up it only takes 21 gl. give or take 4 or 5 tenths to fill it. The amount it takes always matches the gallons the tripometer says I have used. In other words if it takes 21 gl to fill it the tripometer says I used 21 gal. After I fill up the miles to empty always shows less than 400 miles to empty which is way less than what it should read to be accurate.

Anyone else experience this? If so, did you find a way to correct it? Can the dealer correct this with a computer reset? Any help would be appreciated. I can always go by the tripometer to know how many gl I have left in the tank rather than the miles to empty readout, but it would be nice if it was accurate
It is very detromental to run these trucks out of gas [the fuel pump is ubmerged and cooled by gas] so they tryto leave a couple of gallons yours seems to be about 5 gals to complety empty or 3 gals from its time to get gas as for the DTE reading make sure its not set to tow mode. my 26gal eb showes just over 520 with a fill up and my gauge reads 1/4 more for each 6 gals i put in. I have never ran it below about 1/4 and the DTE reads around 120/130 range. Idoubt if Ford would find your truck outside the margin of error but it wont hurt to ask Bubbabud 2011 XLT SC Ecoboost
Old 11-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I also think its a bit conservative, as the "get some gas" notice on the display pops up like crazy when the truck thinks it needs some dinosaur juice. You finally give in and go to fill up and drop in 20gals. WTF?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also found my gas level to be a bit out of whack. I have a 36 gallon tank and it always tells me I have single digit mileage left yet it says I only have used 29 gallons. I stop and get gas and it takes the amount of gas it says has been used. I don't really want to push it and run out of gas though, I'd rather get it too soon than too late.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gallons left in tank?