Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Fuel Injector Cleaner for Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner for Ecoboost?

So what if any fuel injector cleaner or fuel system conditioner/lubricity product would the direct injection Ecoboost engine use. Diesels need it and their fuel already has natural lubricant in it. Gasoline is very dry. Interested in finding out what Ford plans to recommend.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Modern diesels that were actually designed to run on ULSD (15 PPM Sulphur or less) do not need any added lubricants. Some of these added lubricants can destroy the DPF filter, causing several thousand $$ in damages - especially if the lubricant works by replacing the sulphur removed from the newer ULSD fuel. We had a driver try it, I can't remember how many parts he destroyed on the engine, but we just about lost the manufacturer's warranty over it. It wasn't just the DPF, it was basically every single part in the exhaust system.

Some (Not all) older diesels need it badly because their design relies on the fuel lubricating the injectors since the manufacturers never expected the government would require that nearly all sulphur be removed from the diesel fuel. There's one brand in particular that is pretty much guaranteed to break injectors with the new ULSD fuel, the rest don't really seem to care. I'm thinking that it's Cummins pre-2007 engines that absolutely hate ULSD fuel, but I may be wrong on that.

So, I'm expecting that the injectors in the Ecoboost are designed to be properly lubricated without the use of any added lubricants
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I think the manual states...

that no oil or fuel additives are needed or recommended. The use of high quality top tier gas usually negates the need for fuel additives.
My .02
Cheers!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Techroline couldn't hurt! It's found in Chevron gas.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used 2 stroke on my 7.3 diesel and made it run smoother but the new ones with dpfs i would not run it. I don't think I would use any cleaners until higher mileage
Old 04-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah, I've done the diesel route for 25 years. Just was wondering about keeping the ecoboost gasoline direct injectors clean and lubricated. Techroline is an interesting thought.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan on using gasoline to keep mine clean

Gasoline seems to be a perfectly good cleaner for just about everything else, so why not hehe

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner for Ecoboost?