Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ford is idling Kentucky F150 plant over parts shortage

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Ford is idling Kentucky F150 plant over parts shortage

Left Lane News reports that Ford is idling an F150 production line next week due to a parts shortage as a result of the Japanese quake.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-...versupply.html
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Curmudgeon

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F-150s are built at the Dearborn (Michigan) Truck Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant, not Louisville. The referenced article says "F-series", but does not say F-150.

There are two Ford assembly plants in Louisville. Louisville Assembly (on the south side near the airport) used to build Explorers and SportTracs. Now that Explorers are built at Chicago Assembly and SportTracs are being phased out, Louisville Assembly will be reconfigured for the Escape replacement. Kentucky Truck Plant (on the northeast side of Louisville) builds Super Dutys (F-250, F-350, etc.) and Expedition/Navigators.

Though this article doesn't say what part is in short supply, it has been previously reported that the Xirilac paint additive in Tuxedo Black and some reds is in short supply due to the damage in Japan.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
ECO 4X4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing I ordered blue
Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Boost Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ordered an FX4 and was told no NAV due to shortage
Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by egbertnr
Ordered an FX4 and was told no NAV due to shortage
yep, patiently awating the Nav option to be available again before I order mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer told me that the regional ford rep came by and told him not to allow anyone to order the tuxedo black or the red candy because of the quake. He said they would have a red candy in the fall but it will be a different shade of red and they would have a color to replace the tuxedo. According to him, mine was one of the last few to come off the line with red candy paint.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also heard if you want black, you outta luck if you truck not built by June 1st.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bcangelo
My dealer told me that the regional ford rep came by and told him not to allow anyone to order the tuxedo black or the red candy because of the quake. He said they would have a red candy in the fall but it will be a different shade of red and they would have a color to replace the tuxedo. According to him, mine was one of the last few to come off the line with red candy paint.
Apparently, the candy red Lariat with nav I ordered back on 3/11 is scheduled to be built May 9th.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by EricTheOracle
Apparently, the candy red Lariat with nav I ordered back on 3/11 is scheduled to be built May 9th.
It's going to be a different shade with a different paint code but same name:
http://corporate.ford.com/owner-serv...26view%3Dprint
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bb37
F-150s are built at the Dearborn (Michigan) Truck Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant, not Louisville. The referenced article says "F-series", but does not say F-150.

There are two Ford assembly plants in Louisville. Louisville Assembly (on the south side near the airport) used to build Explorers and SportTracs. Now that Explorers are built at Chicago Assembly and SportTracs are being phased out, Louisville Assembly will be reconfigured for the Escape replacement. Kentucky Truck Plant (on the northeast side of Louisville) builds Super Dutys (F-250, F-350, etc.) and Expedition/Navigators.

Though this article doesn't say what part is in short supply, it has been previously reported that the Xirilac paint additive in Tuxedo Black and some reds is in short supply due to the damage in Japan.
i would also suspect sensors and maybe mass air meters. I know its older, but the Lightning MAF in my tbird is made by Hitachi.

Quick Reply: Ford is idling Kentucky F150 plant over parts shortage