Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ford designing new intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ford designing new intercooler

After trying to lemon my truck and reason with ford for the shutter issue. I talked to a Ford manager on my case and claims that Ford technicians were designing a new intercooler as we speak? True or false?

Popular Reply

08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Franchi Motorsports
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Although I know you all will miss him terribly, I just permabanned WWEST for good. He had his chances and was warned and yet decided to continued in same fashion with his unique tech....
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I can imagine this to be true - by now they must know that there apparently is a real issue given the right environment.
The real question is if this (if indeed true) will be a fix for future trucks only, or if they will issue a TSB or even a recall (I strongly doubt the latter).
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Mountain Dew Guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've heard, they will only implement the "fix" on the existing intercooler and then put the new intercooler on the new trucks when they come out.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben the Isäntä
From what I've heard, they will only implement the "fix" on the existing intercooler and then put the new intercooler on the new trucks when they come out.
Perhaps, but a tragic wreck caused by the sudden loss of power on acceleration and the publicity it could cause is not in Ford's best interest. Just remember what the Explorer and tire failure did to Ford -their fault or not. A half way competent lawyer parading a grieving family in front of ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN is not something Ford wants. They have worked hard to raise their reputation beyond the government bailout, plus they have made great strides in vehicle safety.

On the other hand, they all employ actuaries to calculate these things.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Mountain Dew Guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1

Perhaps, but a tragic wreck caused by the sudden loss of power on acceleration and the publicity it could cause is not in Ford's best interest. Just remember what the Explorer and tire failure did to Ford -their fault or not. A half way competent lawyer parading a grieving family in front of ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN is not something Ford wants. They have worked hard to raise their reputation beyond the government bailout, plus they have made great strides in vehicle safety.

Cause the fix they have came up with, it seems like it actually works, and it'll be cheaper than switching out intercoolers. I guess time will see
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Ford forever!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Did Ford actually stress test that motor before they released?
Makes me wonder.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1

Um, Ford didn't take a bailout...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

The only time I have ever experienced anything like what y'all describe is when I floor it at 65-70 and it downshifts to 2nd, bangs the rev limiter, and then shifts to 3rd and hauls the mail.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECOBEASTJOE
After trying to lemon my truck and reason with ford for the shutter issue. I talked to a Ford manager on my case and claims that Ford technicians were designing a new intercooler as we speak? True or false?

Can you even imagine how long it will take them, since it took them many months to come up with a $11 plastic deflector plate. I really doubt they will be handing out intercoolers as easy as they handed out $11 plastic and it still took me a month to get it.

Last edited by Glock17; 08-23-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock17
Can you even imagine how long it will take them, since it took them many months to come up with a $11 plastic deflector plate. I really doubt they will be handing out intercoolers as easy as they handed out $11 plastic and it still took me a month to get it.
I think the cost for the current intercooler is under $300. If they (Ford) came up with a better design without retrofitting previous trucks, and I would have the issue, I would most likely go ahead and buy the new intercooler. Yes, theoretically Ford should pay for it, but $300 would not be the end of the world for me.

Quick Reply: Ford designing new intercooler