Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Flashing engine indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Flashing engine indicator

Today I was driving at about 80mph on the highway and all of a sudden the yellow engine indicator started flashing. As it flashed I started to loose speed and exceleration. This is on my '13 FX2 ecoboost and do not have any mods.

This went on for about 30 seconds and I was about to record it, it stopped and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? There are no codes.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

flashing CEL=serious misfire that may result in catalyst damage...there may be a stored code in the system..take it to the dealer
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, well maybe. The ecoboost shudder. Mine occurred after hours of interstate driving in the rain, stopping for gas, getting back on. With max acceleration passing a truck after getting on the on ramp the truck shuddered/stalled badly and had a flashing CEL. Got back to normal after a maybe a minute or less and continued my trip. After getting back home (several days and hundreds of miles later without issue) the dealer applied the latest TSB/fix, removing the upper CAC plate (that was apparently installed by an earlier TSB/fix).

So mine, and from what I've seen generally, occurs after operating in a high humidity environment for an extended time, and then a hard acceleration. I'm not sure if occurring while cruising is the same issue.

Since that particular operating envelope doesn't occur often, I can't tell whether it is fixed or not. I suspect the next time it happens I'll be out of warranty. I did go to the NHTSA website and enter a complaint.

Last edited by jjg3; 03-24-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:09 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Go have it scanned for codes
Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_fx2
Today I was driving at about 80mph on the highway and all of a sudden the yellow engine indicator started flashing. As it flashed I started to loose speed and exceleration. This is on my '13 FX2 ecoboost and do not have any mods.

This went on for about 30 seconds and I was about to record it, it stopped and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone experienced this before? There are no codes.
I absolutely suggest having the dealer take a look at this, tx_fx2. What's the current mileage on your truck? Please let me know; I'll look into this further.

Brittany
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService
I absolutely suggest having the dealer take a look at this, tx_fx2. What's the current mileage on your truck? Please let me know; I'll look into this further.

Brittany
I have about 11,200 on it.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_fx2
I have about 11,200 on it.
Thanks for clarifying! Please get an appointment scheduled at your earliest convenience; feel free to use this to get started.

Then, send along a PM with your full name, VIN, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number. I'll get a case escalated to your regional customer service manager.

Brittany

Quick Reply: Flashing engine indicator