Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

First problem with SCT canned tunes in over a year.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First problem with SCT canned tunes in over a year.

So I bought my 2012 Ecoboost XLT SCREW in May of 12'. June, I tuned it with SCT canned 93 tune with the X3 tuner. It has been a beast ever since. Just recently, about 3 weeks ago I have started having an issue with the truck shifting from Park to Drive... but ONLY in the morning when the engine is cold.

So what happens is, I get in my truck, start it, put it in drive and it takes about 7-15 seconds before it shifts into drive. When it finally does go into drive, it SLAMS into drive. When it first did this, I was backing out of my garage. I was rolling in reverse very slowly and put it into drive. Still rolling I gave it a little gas to go and when it slammed into gear it barked the tires.

Sooooo.... I flashed it back to stock and took it to Ford. They said there was a software update that would fix it. They flashed new software. I took it home and updated my tuner and reinstalled the tune the following week. All week it went into gear fine. Since I retuned it, it started doing it again. I took the tune out and its still doing it.

Taking it back to Ford tonight. I'll update when I get an answer.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

It may not be the tune.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Your tranny is fked! Too much race truck action
Nah jk
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

IIRC, there is a transmission range sensor that causes the same symptoms.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
It may not be the tune.
Yea I dont think it's the tune because it still does it when I take the tune out. Dropped it off tonight. Service guy said its probably just a sensor. Hopefully thats all it is.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Default **Update**

Got the truck back. Dealer said there is a drain/pressure tube inside the trans that allows fluid to flow in and out of the trans. This hydraulic fluid applies pressure to put the truck into gear and also for shifting gears.

He said my problem was, this "tube" was not keeping a sufficient amount of fluid in the trans when I turned the truck off. When it was started, it would build fluid pressure back up until it was high enough to put the truck into drive. This is a common issue. He installed some electronic thing in the trans (new wires coming from trans) that electronically closes when the truck is turned off to keep fluid in the trans. I'll know tomorrow if this actually works. If not, I wonder if a "lemon Law" will apply since this will be the 3rd time taking in back in.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Truck is doing it again.... Today, it would leave 1st gear after SLAMMING into it. Called the stealership, bitched out the service manager. Told his this is the 3rd and final time I'm bringing it in before I seek legal help. I know this has nothing to do with the tune. He said to bring it in and he will give me whatever I want as a loaner until they fix it. I need another truck because I tow.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by dcar777
Truck is doing it again.... Today, it would leave 1st gear after SLAMMING into it. Called the stealership, bitched out the service manager. Told his this is the 3rd and final time I'm bringing it in before I seek legal help. I know this has nothing to do with the tune. He said to bring it in and he will give me whatever I want as a loaner until they fix it. I need another truck because I tow.
dcar777,

PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
dcar777,

PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley
Take a look at what? They keep me well informed. I just left the dealership. They tried duplicating the issue today, and of course the truck didn't do it. He said they're taking it in Monday morning and "tearing" the trans apart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it isn't fixed after this 3rd time, doesn't that make it a lemon?

Quick Reply: First problem with SCT canned tunes in over a year.