Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

First oil change on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
oya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First oil change on 5.0

I did my first oil change on my '13 f-150 5.0 and noticed how the oil filter is in a so bad spot. I didn't want to lift the truck to do the oil change (doing it in my driveway) and it was a pain in the a** to get it out of there.

the second thing I noticed is that they've put it right over a crossmember of the frame and when I removed it oil spilled on both side.

Do you guys have any tips for me till I get some cash to build myself a nice garage.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

i drove mine up on low profile ramps, made the filter oil drain to the back.of the tray. misjudged where oil would hit the pan though, luckily had a big drip pan on the driveway. this is the first vehicle that i could ever remove the filter by hand from the factory. to me draining the oil is easier than filling it back up. i am 6' and have to have a stool to put the oil in and get the dipstick in and out. to barrel chested to slide under without ramps, plus to old. the hardest part was cleaning out the catch tray so it wouldn't drip later. i have only done 1 oil change, sure it will get easier, maybe someone will chime in with some tips.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 AM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

I'll gladly take the oil filter location of my '11 5.0 versus my '02 4.6, was right above the diff and you could barely get your hand in their to get at it. Still had the same problem of oil spilling all over the plastic run off pan they had below it.

On mine I drive the front tires up some wood stands we have for our jack stands, gives about 4 inches of lift. It just two pieces of 2x12 lumber nailed together. I would remove the lower air deflector when you're doing the oil change. It's just two bolts and takes like 5 minutes, but the room you gain, especially for your head, makes up for it. Makes it a lot easier to get at the filter if you have to lay on the ground. Then I lay some shop towels (paper) onto to the drip pan for the filter. Helps collect most of it. Then I just wipe the pan the best I can, but will still get a drip or two for the next day. One thing I might to try on my last change was after I get the filter lose so I can hand spin it, is put a zip lock baggy that is big enough to fit over the filter and the base/oil cooler so that any oil that comes out would hopefully go in the baggy.

Regarding the filling back up comment, I added this.

It's an oil inlet pipe, I call it an extension, that is from Ford and was on the 5.4's. Part # is 3L3Z-6763-DA and I got it from my dealer for like $15. I like this because it puts my funnel in a straight up position and the hole fits my funnel perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris's FX4:
oya (12-10-2013), white08gt (12-11-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 AM
oya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think about putting some rags on the pan good tip
Since I'm slim enough to get under I didn't lift it up but lifted a bit it might be easier to get to the filter

I'll try it next spring
Thank's

Quick Reply: First oil change on 5.0