Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

First full tank with the Supercharger installed, 17.0mpg.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Default First full tank with the Supercharger installed, 17.0mpg.

No bad if you ask me. The onboard computer said 17.4mpg but hand calculated said 17.0. This on the stock Magnuson tune, one size smaller upper pulley (3.2 vs. 3.3), with AR headers. I have the stock tires but they are getting beat up pretty bad from the torque.

This setup is making 7.8psi and will make more once I go down to a 3.1" upper pulley, which will go one once I clean it up. Then she is ready to be tuned. I will report how that goes in detail when it happens.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Keep us updated. Looking forward to hearing about the progression of the supercharger and your review.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I avg. about 11.5 on my tanks of gas with the blower
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

How are these supercharged 5.0's running compared to the race-tuned EB's?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

According to some of Eco guys on the SoCal forum they would drag us... By I would love to have a shot at a tuned Eco on the freeway.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Youngone2012
According to some of Eco guys on the SoCal forum they would drag us... By I would love to have a shot at a tuned Eco on the freeway.
From a dig they might get ya, from a roll I think it's a different story.

When I get tuned I'll have no problem with tuned ecos. I have a feeling my 60' times are going to be right with them as my truck jumps off the line. The stock torque converter stalls to 2800 rpm! It will chirp the tires with a full tank of gas, three adult males, and a tubular bumper in the bend in 4wd leaving off the time. With a good tune I feel it will be spinning in 4wd off the line.

Turbo upgraded ecos... well we will have to wait and see. It is interesting watching the recent progression in the 3.5 eco world.
The following users liked this post:
Kenferg1 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by rn29306
Awesome. Keep us updated. Looking forward to hearing about the progression of the supercharger and your review.
Well, the maggy tunes sucks for performance. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. The throttle is real soft off the line, which I actually like because it make it easy to stay out of the boost. The shifts are basically stock, but hang slightly longer. I think this is to help keep you out of the boost. I occasionally have surging, but conditions have to be just right for it. I'm running 7.8 psi with a 3.2 pulley (stock is 3.3) and have a 3.1 pulley that I won't install until tuning. I'm experiencing too much detonation as it is.

Also, it's really quiet. It's loudest first thing in the morning when it makes a slight rattle sound. It's kind of weird to describe. I doubt most people can hear it thought because my exhaust is pretty loud. When cruising around real slow it has a faint turbo whistle like sound to it. I never hear the signature blower whine I think it's because I'm using the stock intake box. Youngerone sent me a video where I can hear his a little bit but he has an aftermarket intake and a smaller pulley for more boost.

I'll do a full review once I get it tuned.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Swap the intake box for a CAI-style on that blower. I went from the CAI style to the box on my '08 and it is very quiet in comparison. However, it feels slower with the air box on. Gonna put the CAI back in.

On my 5.4@10psi I can get 15.3 on the highway@73mph and about 600-800# in the bed.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by scobar
Swap the intake box for a CAI-style on that blower. I went from the CAI style to the box on my '08 and it is very quiet in comparison. However, it feels slower with the air box on. Gonna put the CAI back in.

On my 5.4@10psi I can get 15.3 on the highway@73mph and about 600-800# in the bed.
I want to but I don't want to spend much money on one because I won't always be able to use it with the weather I have. I have a bully dog intake but it has the wrong angle.

My instant meter was showing about 26mpg at 60mph on my way to work. I had a 20 mph tailwind though lol.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with your assessment of the stock tune. It pretty much sucks. Did not really expect anything else though. My truck seems to respond better at 3/4 throttle than full. When it down shifts to first it usually hits the limiter before the 1-2 shift so less than full throttle helps that. It also has been known to hit the limiter on the 2-3 shift as well. Since my truck is 2wd, I have serious traction issues. On the other hand, RCSB means it is light and like you said, from a roll it accelerates very quickly. I am pretty sure it will be a different breed of cat once it is tuned and the issues are taken care of.

If I stay off the pedal too much I can get 17+ mpg but with cooler weather coming in it is getting harder to stay out of it.

I am sure and open element filter will increase the blower whine, it certainly does on a Lightning but these blowers seem to make a different sound, not so much screaming. Some really hate the sound a stock Eaton makes but to me it is like an old friend. Still miss the Lightning. Been keeping my eyes open for a super low mile garage queen. I really don't need one but hey, you only live once.

Quick Reply: First full tank with the Supercharger installed, 17.0mpg.