Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Engine Consuming Coolant slowly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Engine Consuming Coolant slowly?

It seems that my engine is slowly consuming coolant. Every few months i have to add a slight amount to keep it in the range on the bottle.

Anybody else experiance this? I have no idea where it could be going. The truck runs and drives fine, doesnt act weird or anything, still gets great fuel economy.

2012 Ecoboost thats just turning 40k.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You've found no signs of leaks? O ask this because mine does it as well and a tad of brake fluid every once in a while. I've found no wet spots and if I do its a decent amount all at once which makes me think its water. I need help too! Lol
Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Same problem here. Can't find any leaks.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Nope, no leaks at all.

You will see a water spot under your truck from condensate from the A/C be sure thats not the wet spot your seeing.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Adding small amounts of brake fluid is normal as the pads wear. Coolant is another story, probably a very tiny head gasket leak going into the cylinder. You can pull the plugs, shine a light down onto the top of the piston. If you have a bright shiny piston top and the rest are dark, the shiny one has a coolant leak. It may run like that for thousands of miles and may blow today.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen plenty of slow external coolant leaks that never resulted in a wet spot on the ground. Sometimes a slow leak in the front of an engine will get dispersed and dried up by the fan and engine heat before it ever turns into a drip. I'd make sure you check the easy things (water pump, hose connections) for any evidence of a leak very closely before you worry too much about a head gasket.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Master of Faster
I've seen plenty of slow external coolant leaks that never resulted in a wet spot on the ground. Sometimes a slow leak in the front of an engine will get dispersed and dried up by the fan and engine heat before it ever turns into a drip. I'd make sure you check the easy things (water pump, hose connections) for any evidence of a leak very closely before you worry too much about a head gasket.

Correct, sometimes a water pump will leak for months without seeing any water on the ground. It just evaporates before it gets to the ground.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive checked my hoses and all around but I think I'm gonna have somebody dye it and check it in a month. I had to do that with my '88 and found a tiny one in the bottom hose but I just added more water every time I had to get a heavy load moved.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by brucesears

Correct, sometimes a water pump will leak for months without seeing any water on the ground. It just evaporates before it gets to the ground.
And then one day all the coolant gushes out at once!

But this sounds like head gasket to me......
Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had about 6 cases of lost coolant in cars I have driven, or at least that I can remember. Ford had a rad lead and it ended up on the windshield. Re-cored the rad. Nissan developed a head gasket leak. I could see a white cloud from the exhaust and you could smell glycol in the exhaust. F150 developed an intake manifold gasket leak. No white cloud, but you could smell it a bit in the exhaust. Ford Windstar was losing coolant, but went to the bone yard with a blown transmission, and coolant loss undiagnosed. Probably head or intake gasket. GM blew the core in the passenger compartment heater. Flooded the carpet with coolant. Have not had a water pump leak, but often they evaporate as fast as they leak, and I believe they leave a bit of a deposit in the area. Oh, and I had a Chev that puzzled me for a long time. Could never catch it leaking, but it was losing lots of fluid. Finally found a crack in the plastic overflow/reserve tank that was above the normal fluid level. Only leaked when it got hot and was over the crack!

Last edited by Ron AKA; 10-05-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Consuming Coolant slowly?