Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

ended up with gas in the oil on my eco

Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Default ended up with gas in the oil on my eco

first issues on my new truck. decided to check my oil before going out of town and immediately smelled gas when i pulled the dipstick. at that point i was pretty sure i knew what i was going to find and sure enough it was way overfull.

so i dropped it off at the dealer this morning. we will see how it goes.

/rant
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Keep us informed on what they do.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

First of all, you have a DI engine. The oil will have a slight smell of fuel. Nature of the beast.

Second, one side of the dipstick always read high due to the way it rubs when pulling out. Always read the side with the lower mark.

Third, there is only one way to find out if you have a problem and that is to test the oil. Until then it's only speculation on what is going on.

Don't put the cart before the horse...get an analysis done. I bet you will find you are just fine...
The following users liked this post:
taubr unit (05-21-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Those who have installed a can have reported this addressed the issue.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by jwanck11
Do your research before you buy. I was going to buy one and ended up not.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Yep, from wha' I've read (a heap!), direct injection, aka, DI, causes some gasoline to get into the oil. For my old fashioned brain, that keeps me from wanting an Ecoboost more than anything else. I just don't like DI from wha' I've been studying about it so far. It seems to be okay for two cycle outboards, etc., and maybe some makers have figured out how to keep gas out. I just don't know.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jwanck11
Quite a few without cans have also found they have bad or leaking High Pressure Fuel Pumps. Seems to mainly 2013's that have had the bad pumps. Makes me wonder if Ford changed something or the supplier sent a bad batch.

The suggestion of the oil analysis is the best bet. That way you know exactly what is going on!
The following users liked this post:
engineermike (05-16-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by iFord
Yep, from wha' I've read (a heap!), direct injection, aka, DI, causes some gasoline to get into the oil. For my old fashioned brain, that keeps me from wanting an Ecoboost more than anything else. I just don't like DI from wha' I've been studying about it so far. It seems to be okay for two cycle outboards, etc., and maybe some makers have figured out how to keep gas out. I just don't know.
The issue is that Ford, along with every other manufacturer out there, has been having to run the mixture richer than normally required in the past to light off the catalytic converters faster, and then enrich the mixture at other times to keep the converter at an ideal temperature. I would make an educated assumption that in a DI engine, running like this can exacerbate the gas in oil issue. Instead of the ideal 14.7:1, I've noticed many newer vehicles (my F150 and my 2007 Mazda 3) running closer to about 14.1-14.4 range. I would guess that some of this is due to ethanol content in the fuel (though when I've run pure gas in either, I haven't seen a difference in the mixture) but I suspect the rest is probably to keep the converter heated up. I believe that the TSB that addresses the issue also states this.

I have detected a very faint scent of gas when changing my oil for the first time, after that I really haven't smelled anything. I've got a sample I need to send off to Blackstone just to confirm though.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by modru2004
...so i dropped it off at the dealer this morning. we will see how it goes...
Hi modru2004,

Just touching base to see what you heard from your dealership. I'll check in on this thread to see if you have any updates to share.

Crystal
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I suspect that a 15 or 20 mile drive would cause that gas to evaporate and I also suspect those who do mostly short trips (under 5 miles) are more likely to have the problem since the engines don't get hot enough for long enough to evaporate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ended up with gas in the oil on my eco