Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ecoboost Vacuum

So I had a random thought today - how do the vacuum assist brakes and vacuum controlled waste-gates work on the turbocharged ecoboost? So we found the brake booster and traced the vacuum lines from it to figure out where they go.

The engine isn't boosted under light loads - a scan tool shows regular engine vacuum when slowing down or cruising empty. Under light loads, the vacuum comes from the intake, just after the throttle plate.

When it's boosted, a one way valve in the vacuum line going to the brake booster shuts, and the vacuum source is shifted to the air intake just after the air cleaner - where there's going to be plenty of vacuum when the turbos are sucking air through.

So, now I understand a little better why Ford doesn't want aftermarket intakes stuck on these things - screw it up and you could disable the brake assist
Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really.

You think this is the first car with a factory turbo setup?

There are plenty of vehicles out there with turbos and they employ a very similar setups.

Ford for the most part does not care what you do to the vehicle, the moment you modified it, it is off their hands. They just dont want the 18 to 30 year olds that break something (due to them pushing the vehicle) and think Ford has to fix it for them.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Its more of a "pay attention" post than a "omg don't mod the engine" post.

As long as you're using aftermarket parts intended for the 3.5 I don't see how you'd lose brakes - but we are all pickup truck owners And I've seen some pretty crazy stuff under the hood of some pickups.

Besides, I'm going to bet you that most people with an ecoboost (like me) have never had a turbo-gas engine before. I've driven turbo-diesels, but never a turbo-gas - and it was just really interesting to me how the brakes work on it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I traded an '08 Mazdaspeed 3 in on our ecoboost Platinum. Despite the many "zoom zoom BOOM" posts on the numerous message boards I never had a problem, mainly because my car had zero mods done to it. Actually, all it ever got was oil and filter changes and tire rotations. I did a brake flush and transaxle oil change but those don't really count as mods.

Just run quality oil and gas in your EB, use only Ford or Motorcraft branded parts and you should be OK.

My .02 cents worth, which when added to $75 will get you a cup of coffee on rodeo drive.
Cheers!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by p38fln
So I had a random thought today - how do the vacuum assist brakes and vacuum controlled waste-gates work on the turbocharged ecoboost? So we found the brake booster and traced the vacuum lines from it to figure out where they go.

The engine isn't boosted under light loads - a scan tool shows regular engine vacuum when slowing down or cruising empty. Under light loads, the vacuum comes from the intake, just after the throttle plate.

When it's boosted, a one way valve in the vacuum line going to the brake booster shuts, and the vacuum source is shifted to the air intake just after the air cleaner - where there's going to be plenty of vacuum when the turbos are sucking air through.

So, now I understand a little better why Ford doesn't want aftermarket intakes stuck on these things - screw it up and you could disable the brake assist
Don't the Eco boosted trucks use a vacuum pump because the motors do not make enough vacuum to work the brake booster,it's located behind the drivers head light? And on 13 up its a cam driven vacuum pump...so I think your info is a little incorrect ? Unless the booster uses both engine and the pump and you just missed one of them...and the check valve works the same on all power brakes..turbo or NA powered..
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Aboostedf150

Don't the Eco boosted trucks use a vacuum pump because the motors do not make enough vacuum to work the brake booster,it's located behind the drivers head light? And on 13 up its a cam driven vacuum pump...so I think your info is a little incorrect ? Unless the booster uses both engine and the pump and you just missed one of them...and the check valve works the same on all power brakes..turbo or NA powered..
Yes. This.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Correct.

Plus you have probably one of the most overall modded trucks.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure in 14 they switched from the pump behind the headlight to a cam shaft driven one.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 03king
I'm pretty sure in 14 they switched from the pump behind the headlight to a cam shaft driven one.
13 like aboosted said.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Vacuum