Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost turbo whistle

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ecoboost turbo whistle

I have noticed on my truck I can only get normal turbo whistle under light throttle. If I start to giv'er. It almost sounds like a boost leak or a rushing of air noise. I have had 2 diesel trucks befor. I know what a turbo should sound like and with those trucks the harder I giv'er the louder the turbo whistle. Is this normal. Just seems odd.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

mine does the same. under light throttle it whistles. anything more it is silent.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Am I the only one who finds this odd and thinks there is something wrong ?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I love this!

Light throttle and you can hear the air rushing (especially with an aftermarket intake), then as you approach WOT (or heavier throttle) it gets silent and the afterburners engage
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
I love this! Light throttle and you can hear the air rushing (especially with an aftermarket intake), then as you approach WOT (or heavier throttle) it gets silent and the afterburners engage
see I loved it in my diesels. Epically after I put a cai on them. The harder I mashed the skinny pedal the louder the turbo whistled.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I put 80k on mine before I sold it, and what you are describing seems perfectly normal. They are just quiet turbos best I can tell. Probably a combination of intake baffling, exhaust baffling, location, and internal waste-gates.

If you ever get alone in a tunnel you can hear them outside the car, sort of. Cat back systems and "cold air intakes" (don't get me started) can help bring out some of the turbo spool noise.

I can imagine the conversation at concept time around Ford had a lot of emphasis on how do we make this sound like a normal truck, and not a Supra.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, don't forget that these turbos on these motors are tiny, much smaller than your diesel ones.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

If you want more whistle, take the silencers out of the intake pipes after the Y. Take the fiber board insulation off the bottom of the trucks (I removed mine and the brackets. The one you have to take off to change the oil), aftermarket intake, and aftermarket tune.

Then they will sing. Not as much as a diesel, but as much as you can expect for these little guys!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
If you want more whistle, take the silencers out of the intake pipes after the Y. Take the fiber board insulation off the bottom of the trucks (I removed mine and the brackets. The one you have to take off to change the oil), aftermarket intake, and aftermarket tune. Then they will sing. Not as much as a diesel, but as much as you can expect for these little guys!
they whistle under light throttle. It just seem to me that under harder throttle all I hear is a rushing sound of air.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Right, I agree, you only hear the whistle after a light rev.

I you do all the steps I posted above, you can hear them spool up and the whistle is very high pitched. Especially if you are driving next to someone or a median, you can here that **** loud then.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost turbo whistle