Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150 > 2011+ Engine Related Questions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ecoboost turbo temp

I was curios, since the turbos on the Ecoboost f150 are oil and liquid cooled, if they get to hot would the coolant temp gauge rise? I was just wondering about this the other day when I was towing my camper. I have no idea what temp they are at and was wondering if I could damage them or if the truck would tell me before that happend.
Suzuki14258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Boost :)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

1. The coolant will go back into the engine and through the radiator just like the rest of the coolant. I've been working on and driving turbo vehicles for 15 years and have never seen coolant temps rise because of a turbo issue.

2. The turbos on these truck are standard journal bearing turbos. They are not ball bearing turbos. Journal bearing turbos can be run with oil only. I would certainly not advise anyone to do this, but journal bearing turbos can be run without the coolant lines at all.

3. The coolant is not there to cool the turbos as much as it is to cool the oil in the turbos after you turn the truck off. The vaccuum system in the truck allows the coolant to continue to flow after shutdown ensuring that the oil will not "cook" or "coke" on the bearings and seals in the turbos. When you shut the truck off and oil stops flowing, the oil can over heat and cook right there and can cause premature wear and failure of turbo internal parts. The solution to that is have a turbo that has coolant jackets in it or have a turbo timer which keeps the vehicle running after you turn it off and take the key out.

Bottom line, all turbos are designed to run under EXTREME amounts of heat. The coolant is not there to cool it as much as it is to ensure the oil stays flowing and doesn't heat up too much.

MPT Custom Tuned | Infinity, Kicker, AudioControl
GroundForce Shackles | Peragon M3 PTM | BedRug | LED Interior & Exterior | Raptor 3rd Light
TJPlatinumEB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJPlatinumEB For This Useful Post:
sterlingone (08-24-2014), Triton06 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Have you seen the pics of the EcoBoost racing engine being run on the dyno? THOSE will scare you. The exhausts and turbos are so red hot they are almost transparent:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...LxZJ&fr=mcafee

I too have wondered about the turbos after pulling my 28 foot TT up a mountain pass, as you know they are under full or near full boost the entire time.
The one thing I would not do is pull over and turn off the truck right at the top of the hill, unless I let it idle for a while before doing so. While this is probably not necessary, it is peace of mind for me.

In changing times, one must live by unchanging principles.

Last edited by sterlingone; 08-24-2014 at 02:55 PM.
sterlingone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

When U remove direct lighting the exhaust parts glo more. They are just as hot in direct lighting but U don't see it. Of course cooler denser air creates more power so they will get even hotter than. They won't melt unless there is a malf of major proportions.

Last edited by papa tiger; 08-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
papa tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the info guys, good reading. I guess my question is if I could over heat these turbos would the truck shut the power down or let you know by one of the gauges. I am use to diesels and know with a programmer or even stock you can get the turbo hot enough to damage and never know till its to late unless you have a pyrometer.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #6

When I am towing my camper I watch my boost gauge and can tell the turbos are working really hard.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

If the coolants gets too hot, it will drop to limp mode and not allow any damage. Some have experienced it going up mountains with heavy loads.
2011 SCREW EB 4x4, XLT, 145" 3:55's, Solo Performance 4" exhaust/Mach46 muffler, Rugged liner inner fenders, 20% tint, Firestone Ride Rites, Air Lift Wireless Remote, W/T Digital Fit, W/T Mudflaps, LineX, AVS hood protector, Infinity Reference 6832cf, AMP BedStep, Bakflip VP, GenX Trims Billet lower grill, 4600 Bilsteins
93Cobra#2771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 PM