Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost tuning, warranty & reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ecoboost tuning, warranty & reliability.

I'm considering a tuner and custom tunes for my F150. Performance improvements and tweaking/finessing to my hearts desire is very alluring to me. Like many newbies, however, I'm nervous about it and the potential long term effects. So, I have a few questions.

How many out there have high mileage ecoboost engines that have run aftermarket tunes for effectively the life of the vehicle with zero powertrain issues? Tell me some success stories.

Anyone out there had repairs that were refused to be covered by factory warranty because of running aftermarket tunes?

Anyone had powertrain repairs that were covered by factory warranty while they were running aftermarket tunes?

Has anyone had a claim that required use of the warranty offered by Stage 3 Motorsports, or something similar? How did that work out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I have over 57,000 on my truck and have been tuned for 50,000 of that with no issue and MUCH better driving experience.
I was terrified the first time as I envisioned my $42K truck becoming a brick.

Edit: Changed tuned miles because my math was a little off

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 07-30-2014 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mechehog (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I have 26K miles on my truck with about 3K on the stock tune, 5k on the SCT canned tunes and the rest on my custom tunes. I have not as yet read or heard of anyone being denied warranty coverage on powertrain issues. Just return to stock and drive a few cycles before taking it in.
mechehog (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

83,000 miles on my '11, tuned last year with SSi tunes at 54,000 miles so just about 30,000 miles tuned. No tune related issues with warranty. Ford did replace both IWE's(part of 4x4 system) last Winter even though I was outside of warranty because I had complained about the 4x4 system acting weird since about day 1 of owning the truck. Its good to have them document your concerns.
mechehog (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

We have various customers with mileages ranging from brand new-100,000+ miles on their trucks with tuners and have really not had any problems. A lot of our 2011 owners who were in and out of the dealers with the condensation issue never had a problem with their tuners/tuner. That may vary from dealer to dealer though.

Diablosport just released their support for the ecoboost truck and they have released 5 tunes for the ecoboost truck that are awesome. They include a 93, 91, 87 performance tunes along with a towing tune and a mileage booster tune. So we think they offer something for everyone out of the box.

They also claim that the tuners are undetectable by the dealers. So that is a nice plus in you case.

Diablosport has two models of tuners to fit your needs.

If you just want something to get the job done. The intune is the way to go.

If you are more into gadgets and features like and On Screen Display, Live Monitoring, 1/4mile simulations, then the Trinity is the way to go.

Check them both out on our website along with the rest of the tuners on the market, and feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.makperformance.com/2011-2...ing_c_905.html

Adrian@MAK

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Ecoboost Performance Parts from the Pros!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 36k on my 11 and 22k on my 13. Livernois 93 octane in both the entire time. They reflashed for 13 at NC.

Tune it and drive it!

Like others have said very noticeable differences compared to stock.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Shut up and Fish

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MAK Performance
We have various customers with mileages ranging from brand new-100,000+ miles on their trucks with tuners and have really not had any problems. A lot of our 2011 owners who were in and out of the dealers with the condensation issue never had a problem with their tuners/tuner. That may vary from dealer to dealer though.

Diablosport just released their support for the ecoboost truck and they have released 5 tunes for the ecoboost truck that are awesome. They include a 93, 91, 87 performance tunes along with a towing tune and a mileage booster tune. So we think they offer something for everyone out of the box.

They also claim that the tuners are undetectable by the dealers. So that is a nice plus in you case.

Diablosport has two models of tuners to fit your needs.

If you just want something to get the job done. The intune is the way to go.

If you are more into gadgets and features like and On Screen Display, Live Monitoring, 1/4mile simulations, then the Trinity is the way to go.

Check them both out on our website along with the rest of the tuners on the market, and feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.makperformance.com/2011-2...ing_c_905.html

Adrian@MAK
I'll take one of those please. Ordered.

Thanks, Ethan
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mechehog
Anyone out there had repairs that were refused to be covered by factory warranty because of running aftermarket tunes?

Anyone had powertrain repairs that were covered by factory warranty while they were running aftermarket tunes?
You got to pay to play, that is the bottom line.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Surely there are more stories out there...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Subbed. I'm thinking about tuning too but don't want my dealer knowing
OMAC (08-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost tuning, warranty & reliability.