Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Transmission Lock Up

Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost Transmission Lock Up

I pulled the truck out of the garage today and the transmission on my 2011 Ecoboost Lariat was stuck in 5th gear. It would not downshift whatsoever. I shut the truck off and on a few times and it would start out in 1st, then shift to second, then back to 1st and then straight to 5th gear. All of this happen before moving forward 20 feet. Each time it shifted, I heard a loud thunk sound. I headed straight for the dealer. At a stop sign, I shut it off and on again and it did the same thing, but this time it stuck in 3rd gear after the 1-2-1 shift pattern. I've had no problems until today. I took a freeway trip last weekend of about 150 miles round trip. Got home and parked it in the garage and had not driven it until today.

The truck has about 1300 miles on it, offroad package and 3.73 gears. The transmission would not shift with the paddle or the manual lever at all. The speedometer went dead and I got an icon on the screen that looked like a wrech and a big dark block on my display.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone know what's going on? The dealer gave me a Ford Focus to drive. Good thing I wasn't going on a snowmobile trip this weekend . . . that's the main reason I got a new truck. The old Dodge was getting too old to make the long trips so I needed something new and reliable. The old '98 Dodge never let me down either and I hated it.

Last edited by Sled Puller; 10-23-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Are there any thoughts on what may have happened to my truck? Any guesses? Hopefully, the dealer will be updating me tomorrow. I hope this is not going to be the beginning of something bad.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Where are you located? What kind of sleds? haha
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,509 Posts

What's the build date? There was a run of leaky transmission pumps. If it lost enough fluid it could cause other tranny issues.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm in North East Ohio (Canfield). I've got two 2010 ski-doo XP's. One is an 800 e-tec and the other is a carb'd tnt 600. Looking forward to winter. For the last 3 or 4 years, I've been traveling to New York to ride them.

Not sure on the build date, but I assume it was in July. The truck showed up at the dealer on a Friday and I bought it on Saturday in mid July. I never noticed any fluid on the garage floor that would be indicative of a transmission leak.

One thing I did notice is that the truck really makes alot of condensate when using the ac in the hot weather. It seemed to be pouring out . . . at least I assumed it was condensate!

Last edited by Sled Puller; 10-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM

I talked to the dealer today and they found that a "shaft speed sensor" was bad. Not sure what this is or if I have stated it correctly. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick the truck up.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

That sucks dude, having big problems like this is never fun. Hope they take care of you.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 AM

I wonder if this is related to those severe downshift issues that I've read about on these forums? Could this sensor fail and demand a lower gear while at freeway speed? I hope not. There were no tell tale warning signs for me. The truck behaved flawlessly up to this point. It just locked up in 5th gear in my driveway and I thought I may have bumped into neutral while rolling out into the street.

Last edited by Sled Puller; 10-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:03 PM

I have just gotten my truck back from the TSB for the leaking pump 47 days Sucked! But it is finally running better after 3 trips back to the dealer BUT the last trip back to the dealer was for exactly what you had happen shifting uncontrolably and loud clunking! What happened is my dealer and ford engineering had a conference call because they could not get any code except a over boost code and the went through some voltage checks and found that the megatronics unit in the trans was flipping out so the replaced the trans wire harness and megatronics unit and now all is well ! I would have your dealer call ford engineering because they know about this issue !
I know all this because I use too turn wrenches at a ford dealer and the service manager is a personal friend of mine and told me all that was going on.

Good luck !
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Default tranny problems

Sled guy... I just read your issues with the transmission, and while I know this is an old thread, I just had the EXACT problem with my 2013 F150. I'm hoping that your problem was solved at the Ford dealer as you had hoped. Then if that was the solution, I can pass that on to my service guy so I can get this annoying problem fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost Transmission Lock Up