Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost towing

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost towing

Family is so excited to pick up our new F150 Ecoboost with complete tow package, rated for 11300lbs of towing. With our excitement we decided we'd dive into the world of camping and bought a new Laredo 303tg...even more excited!!! but after reading a few sites we are nervous our new truck can't comfortably tow our new toy? Any thoughts out there? if I have to choose between beer or the wife it'll be struggle????? Can I tow the Laredo?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

how much does it weigh? (im assuming its a travel trailer?)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 PM

approx 7500lbs dry/empty.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dry 7500lbs with 850 hitch lbs. Loaded with gear shouldn't be over 9000lbs.

If you take your time you should be fine. I would take some time to study brake controllers and load distribution hitches. Don't skimp on them either. The rv dealer will sell what ever they carry and tell you it is the best. Also, when the time comes up grade the ply rating on the rv tires will help with sway. I may ride a little rougher but there worth it if you ever get in a cross wind or evasive maneuver.

Just because the truck will do 70mph with a trailer does not mean you should. Most of rv crashes are due to over speed. Not trying to lecture but I drive for a living and when a RV that is pulled with a 1/2 ton passes me do 70+ mph I can almost bet I will find them in the ditch later on with the wheels in the air.

Try and get some drive time in before holiday season or your next trip. There is a lot less gray hair if you are familiar with the trailer loaded with gear if your the only one on the road. Saturday mornings here are great because no one is awake. It may be a wasted tank of gas but it is worth it if you have never towed at near maximum weight.

MPG. I have been told with bumper pulls the bed shell/top/camper like this increase mpg.

Drafting. Find a 18 wheeler that is running about your speed and hang safely behind it. For a 300 mile trip 65 will take around 5 hour vs at 70 4-1/2 hours. Not much of a time difference.

Have fun and find a camper forum. The veterans will have some nice tips and tricks.

Last edited by varithms; 03-03-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM
in the house

Received 1,333 Likes on 772 Posts

Tell us again why you are worried about towing a ~7500 pound trailer?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM

I dont see why that would be a problem..just make sure you are comfortable driving a trailer before you hit the open road!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Tell us again why you are worried about towing a ~7500 pound trailer?
That is what is starts at. Then we add 400 lbs of water, 600lbs of people. Extra gas, beer, kids friend, bikes, kayak/canoe, food, more beer, game consoles and portible tv to silence the kids and neighbor. Then your thinking I should have shipped the kids off and took off some where quiet with the misses.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by econut
Family is so excited to pick up our new F150 Ecoboost with complete tow package, rated for 11300lbs of towing. With our excitement we decided we'd dive into the world of camping and bought a new Laredo 303tg...even more excited!!! but after reading a few sites we are nervous our new truck can't comfortably tow our new toy? Any thoughts out there? if I have to choose between beer or the wife it'll be struggle????? Can I tow the Laredo?
Wow, that is our family plan this summer too. Looking at the Screw Lariat EB w/ Max Tow. Which model are you going for? We were looking at the Coachmen Freedom Express models. After reading this for and some of the RV forums I think the trucks will do fine. Just take it easy like it has been mentioned.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM

We will be on an XTR package Convenience package Ecoboost 4x4 super crew with tow package, back up camera budget. Both Truck and Trailer are ordered and we are just sitting and researching destinations. Though I have some hesitation on the towing thus the post...thanks all for the info - I have also logged into an RV forum. Everyone says the same - "should be be good, just take it easy."
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Jared

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by varithms
Dry 7500lbs with 850 hitch lbs. Loaded with gear shouldn't be over 9000lbs.

If you take your time you should be fine. I would take some time to study brake controllers and load distribution hitches. Don't skimp on them either. The rv dealer will sell what ever they carry and tell you it is the best. Also, when the time comes up grade the ply rating on the rv tires will help with sway. I may ride a little rougher but there worth it if you ever get in a cross wind or evasive maneuver.

Just because the truck will do 70mph with a trailer does not mean you should. Most of rv crashes are due to over speed. Not trying to lecture but I drive for a living and when a RV that is pulled with a 1/2 ton passes me do 70+ mph I can almost bet I will find them in the ditch later on with the wheels in the air.

Try and get some drive time in before holiday season or your next trip. There is a lot less gray hair if you are familiar with the trailer loaded with gear if your the only one on the road. Saturday mornings here are great because no one is awake. It may be a wasted tank of gas but it is worth it if you have never towed at near maximum weight.

MPG. I have been told with bumper pulls the bed shell/top/camper like this increase mpg.

Drafting. Find a 18 wheeler that is running about your speed and hang safely behind it. For a 300 mile trip 65 will take around 5 hour vs at 70 4-1/2 hours. Not much of a time difference.

Have fun and find a camper forum. The veterans will have some nice tips and tricks.
are you a trucker by chance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost towing