Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost and Rain and POOR mileage

Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost and Rain and POOR mileage

I own a 2013 F150 Lariat screw w/ ecoboost. It now has 3600 miles on it.
About 2 weeks ago we took a 200 mile trip on the interstate, the entire way we drove in a heavy rain. At that time there was about 1900 miles on the truck.
Since then the mileage has sucked. it went from 16.7 in the city to 9-10.
The hwy mileage is horrid. Just finished 1100 mile trip, got 14.6 with a 20 mph tail wind on the first half. On the return trip it got 12.7. this was driving on the interstate doing 75. I took it to the dealer just before this trip. They reset the pcm, altho they said it did not need it. Other then the mileage the truck runs great, no shutter, no hesitation. when you step on it it goes. Unfortunately it goes thru the fuel. I've been running 92 octane init since i bought it. It goes back to the dealer next week, any ideas on what would cause this.

Tom
Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

A wet air filter comes to mind, but can't think of anything else.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

This is the text I could find out about it online:
Ó Copyright 2013 Ford Motor Company
Michael A. Berardi Ford Motor Company
Director P. O. Box 1904
Service Engineering Operations Dearborn, Michigan 48121
Ford Customer Service Division
July 25, 2013
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: DELIVERY HOLD - Emission Recall 13E03
Certain 2013 Model Year F-150 Vehicles Equipped with a 3.5L GTDI Engine
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module
AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 2013 model year F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI engine built at Dearborn and
Kansas City Assembly Plants from April 2, 2013 through June 5, 2013. Affected vehicles are
identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit
https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on July 25, 2013.
REASON FOR THIS EMISSION RECALL
In all of the affected vehicles, the Downstream Catalyst Monitor Sensor (DCMS) Onboard Diagnostics
test does not complete. While the DCMS test is running and not completing, the engine air-fuel
control may remain biased rich, which has a negative impact on emissions and fuel economy.
SERVICE ACTION
Before delivering any of the vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to reprogram the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) to the latest level using IDS release 85.02 or higher. This service must be
performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: The State of California and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts require the completion of
emission recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal. For vehicles registered in these states,
please provide the owner with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction certificate after the
repair has been performed. These certificates may be obtained by contacting your regional office.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner Letters are expected to be mailed by September 20, 2013. Dealers should repair any affected
vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
PLEASE NOTE:
The sale of uncorrected new vehicles to customers could lead to penalties under applicable
state and Federal regulations. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to
delivery.
ATTACHMENTS
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Assistance Only) 1-800-325-5621
Sincerely,
Michael A. Berardi
ATTACHMENT I
Page 1 of 2
DELIVERY HOLD - Emission Recall 13E03
OASIS ACTIVATED?
Yes, OASIS will be activated on July 25, 2013.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?
Yes, FSA VIN list will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on July 25,
2013. Owner names and addresses will be available by September 30, 2013.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN list may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle
registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in
connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
STOCK VEHICLES
Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
SOLD VEHICLES
• Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
• Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list
but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when
available) and schedule a service date.
• Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
RELATED DAMAGE
If a related damage condition exists that you believe to be caused by the covered condition, call the
Special Service Support Center to request approval prior to the repair of any related damage.
Requests for approval after completion of the repair will not be granted. Ford Motor Company
reserves the right to deny coverage for related damage in cases where the vehicle owner has not had
this recall performed on a timely basis.
ATTACHMENT I
Page 2 of 2
ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME
• If a condition exists that requires additional labor to complete the repair, call the Special
Service Support Center to request approval prior to performing any additional labor.
Requests for approval after completion of the repair will not be granted.
• If you encounter aftermarket equipment or modifications to the vehicle which might prevent
the repair of the covered condition, call the Special Service Support Center.
OWNER REFUNDS
Refunds are not authorized for this program.
RENTAL VEHICLES
The use of rental vehicles is not authorized for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
• Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).
• Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
• Related damage must be claimed on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on
which the FSA is claimed. Related damage requires prior approval from the Special Service
Support Center.
• "MT" labor should be submitted on a separate repair line with the related damage flag
checked. "MT" labor requires prior approval from the Special Service Support Center.
ATTACHMENT II
Page 1 of 1
LABOR ALLOWANCES
Description Labor Operation Labor Time
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 13E03B 0.4 Hours
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
Parts are not required to complete this repair.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Truck was built after tsb 13e03. The dealer checked, and all current updates for the pcm and intercooler had been done before delivery.

Air filter and box are/were dry.

No check engine light, no codes of any kind.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and see if that resets your mileage.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Dealer did that when they reset the pcm.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by engberg
I own a 2013 F150 Lariat screw w/ ecoboost. It now has 3600 miles on it.
About 2 weeks ago we took a 200 mile trip on the interstate, the entire way we drove in a heavy rain. At that time there was about 1900 miles on the truck.
Since then the mileage has sucked. it went from 16.7 in the city to 9-10.
The hwy mileage is horrid. Just finished 1100 mile trip, got 14.6 with a 20 mph tail wind on the first half. On the return trip it got 12.7. this was driving on the interstate doing 75. I took it to the dealer just before this trip. They reset the pcm, altho they said it did not need it. Other then the mileage the truck runs great, no shutter, no hesitation. when you step on it it goes. Unfortunately it goes thru the fuel. I've been running 92 octane init since i bought it. It goes back to the dealer next week, any ideas on what would cause this.

Tom
For that kind of mileage I would own a Super Duty. My truck before a TSB was getting 17.2, after the TSB i am only getting 15-16. Seems whenever they do any kind of TSB everyone's mileage suffers. I don't trust these digital gauges anyway. There never accurate between gallons used and what you have to put in to refill. That only makes the mileage even worse then what the digital gauge tells you.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I drive the interstate a lot and around 70-74 average 20-21
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It maybe something unrelated to the rain. Check after you drive the truck for a while for a hot rim, possible dragging caliper. Take a look at the hoses attached to the inside of the hub assy, maybe a locked in hub also? Just throwing out ideas.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 PM

still looking for anyone how has had a similar condition and got a solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost and Rain and POOR mileage