Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default EcoBoost Problems

Hope yinz can help.

1st it's an EB in my wife's 2010 49K MKS....

Any how here are the symptoms:

No turbo power at all.... motor runs and drives just no turbo power, falls flat. Also exhibits a slight misfire, surge, sluggish performance otherwise the 3.5 drives like normal.

Oil pressure light came on... car stalled once but started right back up. Checked oil and was within the normal range.

Also have noticed a metallic sound(rattling) coming from under the hood.

The only thing that has been done lately was the steering rack replaced which necessitated the engine cradle to be dropped and that was about a month ago.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

New spark plugs?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I had the EB in the FX2 and returned it because the known issues. I currently drive an Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost. For the most part, it's an okay engine, but can be downright dangerous merging into traffic.

Today I was about to accelerate onto the highway when someone left a gap for me. I pressed down hard on the accelerator and the car just felt flat with a total loss of power for about 7-10 seconds....it felt like I was in neutral.

Luckily it's being traded in on another F150 this week....but no more EB's. It's a 3.7 this time
Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you may have the oil dilution issues. Can you pull your dipstick see if your overfull or it smells strongly of fuel?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
I had the EB in the FX2 and returned it because the known issues. I currently drive an Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost. For the most part, it's an okay engine, but can be downright dangerous merging into traffic.

Today I was about to accelerate onto the highway when someone left a gap for me. I pressed down hard on the accelerator and the car just felt flat with a total loss of power for about 7-10 seconds....it felt like I was in neutral.

Luckily it's being traded in on another F150 this week....but no more EB's. It's a 3.7 this time
Holy cow. This is the first I've heard about issues not in a truck. I'm still happy with mine, but geeze. Starting to wonder....
Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by STLRS FN's FX4
Hope yinz can help.

1st it's an EB in my wife's 2010 49K MKS....

Any how here are the symptoms:

No turbo power at all.... motor runs and drives just no turbo power, falls flat. Also exhibits a slight misfire, surge, sluggish performance otherwise the 3.5 drives like normal.

Oil pressure light came on... car stalled once but started right back up. Checked oil and was within the normal range.

Also have noticed a metallic sound(rattling) coming from under the hood.

The only thing that has been done lately was the steering rack replaced which necessitated the engine cradle to be dropped and that was about a month ago.

Here is what has happened (Lewis is correct below, but your far beyond a fix at this point). The oil dilution has caused enough wear that the timing has jumped, and there is no longer enough oil pressure to keep the tensioners tight enough to prevent it. Your main bearings, cam bearings, and rod bearings as well as the crankshaft have significant wear in order for the oil pressure to drop that low. The timing cans rely on the oil pressure to maintain proper tension on the chains, and when enough engine wear from the oil dilution occurs, then the pump cannot maintain enough pressure to over come the additional clearance between bearings and crank. To the dealer. They should replace the engine. Now lets see after you visit the dealer if I was correct. (print this and show it to the tech/service writer). Good luck, and be insistent they take care of you!!

Originally Posted by Lewis289
Sounds to me like you may have the oil dilution issues. Can you pull your dipstick see if your overfull or it smells strongly of fuel?
You are correct, only his has progressed far beyond a TSB fix. The damage is done.

KILOFINAL, what you experienced is the classic spark blow out when the rapid boost pushes accumulated water/oil/gunk mix in to the intake and creates spark blow out.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Thanks for the info on "spark blowout" . I'm sure the guy that left me the gap must of thought I was a complete moron because I wasn't merging onto the highway. It honestly felt like the car was coasting in neutral. My foot was planted to the floor and after about 10 seconds, there was a surge and the tach needle revved to redline.

I've experienced turbo lag in other vehicles, but this was very unsettling.

Originally Posted by Tuner Boost
Here is what has happened (Lewis is correct below, but your far beyond a fix at this point). The oil dilution has caused enough wear that the timing has jumped, and there is no longer enough oil pressure to keep the tensioners tight enough to prevent it. Your main bearings, cam bearings, and rod bearings as well as the crankshaft have significant wear in order for the oil pressure to drop that low. The timing cans rely on the oil pressure to maintain proper tension on the chains, and when enough engine wear from the oil dilution occurs, then the pump cannot maintain enough pressure to over come the additional clearance between bearings and crank. To the dealer. They should replace the engine. Now lets see after you visit the dealer if I was correct. (print this and show it to the tech/service writer). Good luck, and be insistent they take care of you!!

You are correct, only his has progressed far beyond a TSB fix. The damage is done.

KILOFINAL, what you experienced is the classic spark blow out when the rapid boost pushes accumulated water/oil/gunk mix in to the intake and creates spark blow out.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 PM

I'll have to ask my mechanic if it(oil) smelt like gas when he did the oil changes for me.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Lewis and Tuner Boost thanks for the insight on the oil dillution issue. Guess there is a tsb for it? Never knew about it.... guess I'll have do an oasis or have the vin ran to see if the tsb was done.

I hopin that yinz are wrong but being there seems to be a tsb for it tells me I'm in for a long haul.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Yinz? You from Pittsburgh?

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Problems