Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

ecoboost and powerbraking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ecoboost and powerbraking

So I was goofing off tonight and decided to smoke the tires up so I power braked and noticed the engine would almost shutdown when I put the accelerator to the floor. It would do fine under about half throttle. Is this normal or am I experiencing the ecoboost bog? Advance track was off. I also notice this if I am driving and try to fake load the engine by slightly braking while giving it the foot. Can anyone else try this and conferm if its normal or is mine broke.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Chevy Eater

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever the rear wheel speed sensors sense that speed is at or above 35 mph traction control kicks back on. If you'd like to get rid of this safety feature, then tune it. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 AM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

I can't keep up with everyone...

Is it stock tuned?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its stock. And wheel speed didn't go above 35. If it power brake it from idle. The engine seems lime it cuts fuel if I push the accelerator past 1/2. I have a feeling it may be experiencing the dressed power loss
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 AM
FSM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Brake input over rides accelerator input and shuts down engine. It's just another safety feature.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 AM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FSM
Brake input over rides accelerator input and shuts down engine. It's just another safety feature.
This. More than just your safety. Its trying to keep you from tearing something up as well. More so torque management.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

So a stock truck can't simply hold the traction control button down for 15 sec and then hotbrake a smokey burnout? I don't like burning off the tires mainly because I'm cheap and don't want to replace them but if you wanna smoke em I don't think Ford should make it so you can't.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

You can thank Toyota for the brake override...

Last edited by White-Out; 04-30-2013 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CoreyMS (04-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2023, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedXLT
So I was goofing off tonight and decided to smoke the tires up so I power braked and noticed the engine would almost shutdown when I put the accelerator to the floor. It would do fine under about half throttle. Is this normal or am I experiencing the ecoboost bog? Advance track was off. I also notice this if I am driving and try to fake load the engine by slightly braking while giving it the foot. Can anyone else try this and conferm if its normal or is mine broke.
Mine does the exact same thing. And from what I've learned, doing a burnout in a new EcoBoost F150 can be done, but rather tricky. It's a matter of not giving it too much throttle and/or brake, rather than holding the brake and stomping the accelerator to the floor. I've noticed if I hold the brake and stomp the accelerator to the floor, the truck simply won't do anything and will cut power. But if I feather the gas pedal and brake and gradually apply more gas and brake while also letting the truck creep forward, the power will overcome the tires traction and will break the tires loose. Once the tires have broken loose, go ham with the accelerator and let that sucker wind up and you'll have yourself one hell of a smoke show. It's a matter of tricking the electronic nannies. I've got a 2023 2.7L F150 4x4, and it'll smoke both the rear tires on dry asphalt in 2nd gear. I suggest practicing on a smooth or wet surface, and once you get better, try it on dry pavement. And if you still have trouble, try turning the wheel fully to the left or right as that'll make it harder for the truck to roll forward.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:09 AM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

@oldmantrixter a ten year old thread? Really?!?!?

Quick Reply: ecoboost and powerbraking