Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost pop/thump while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost pop/thump while driving?

Anyone else experiences a slight pop or thump on acceleration with their ecoboost? Mine does it routinely when accelerating. It's faint but it's there and I can feel the pop through the pedal ever so slightly. Happens between 3-5th gear.

No idea what this could be. Sometimes when it happens I'll get 2-3 pops consecutively. It's not fuel related as I've tried 87-93 at different stations. Seems to have started as we started seeing near and below freezing temps. Does it regardless if truck is cold or fully warmed up.

I do have a airaid intake installed but it never did this before withthe airaid. Only thing that's seems to be in common is the colder weather.

Last edited by falcon10; 01-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Blow off valve?
Can you hear it as well? I can hear the turbos doing their thing a lot more now that its colder. It's surprising how many times they blow off during semi hard acceleration.
I never noticed a feeling to it though.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes. Intakes make it worse. If you are able to watch your TPS as you are driving you will see that they (Ford) are making large adjustments when this happens. It is only under light load or slow acceleration though.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Makes me feel better but I never heard a blowoff make a thump but it does sound air/valve related like a check valve closing kinda.

I had a STi for a while and the blowoff never sounded like that or my buddies duramax. It had me worried. Especially faintly feeling it in the pedal.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

There is another thread where the owner insisted it was his transmission failing. Said how crappy Ford's trucks were. How he wanted to crash it through the dealership. Strange how he just couldn't understand how everybody's truck makes this sound.

It's my theory that the computer is trying to dump boost because the turbos are about to lite.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds exactly like what I have. (I see you were on that other turbo thread). Seems to happen at a moderate acceleration. If I go at a slow rate or just gun it there's no sound. Performance wise things are great....just a weird muffled popping that doesn't last (1-3x spaced half a sec apart)...and I think I do feel it slightly thru the gas peddle but that could just be me. Definitely have to have the radio off to hear it.....
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 AM

There are several threads like this already.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump- what was the verdict on this? My 2012 eco with airaid intake makes this weird "thud" sound and I can feel it through the gas pedal. It doesn't sound like any wastegate/BPV that I've ever had before. (I've owned 6 or 7 turbo vehicles in the past) If I swap the stock airbox back on it never happens. I noticed the airaid tube fits loosely into the metal heat shield. Could the engine be torquing and making the intake clatter against the heat shield?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

It does happen. It's just muffled. It's normal. Don't like it? Get rid of the truck. How many times must we go over this?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Centexguy
It does happen. It's just muffled. It's normal. Don't like it? Get rid of the truck. How many times must we go over this?
And still, nobody has a definitive answer to the question...

Quick Reply: Ecoboost pop/thump while driving?