Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Oil Related Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Question Ecoboost Oil Related Question

So with all the talk about oil level issues I checked my oil today. The oil level was higher than the top mark and almost to the witness hole.

Last time I checked it, I thought it was right on the full mark. I smelled the oil and It did not smell like gas.

I have been driving it around town on a bunch of "short" trips. Do I need to take it out on the interstate and let her run?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I would just to get things warmed up and burnt off. It's one of the "benefits" of living about 5 miles away from most things - by the time we get there and back things are warm.

I'd also just keep an eye on it going into summer now - my guess is it will return to normal once the weather stays warm. Most likely you have a buildup of water (is your oil cap milky?) and condensation from the short trips since it doesn't smell like gas.
The following users liked this post:
Tothemax (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 PM
King Hater

Originally Posted by itguy08
I would just to get things warmed up and burnt off. It's one of the "benefits" of living about 5 miles away from most things - by the time we get there and back things are warm.

I'd also just keep an eye on it going into summer now - my guess is it will return to normal once the weather stays warm. Most likely you have a buildup of water (is your oil cap milky?) and condensation from the short trips since it doesn't smell like gas.
Thanks IT.

Most of my trips are in town and under 35mph. Maybe a few miles at a time. The truck does warm up but its not working the motor by any means.

I did not look at the oil cap but it had some milky junk a few months back.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh. I feel like I'm about to open a whole can of worms.

IT, this is first I've read where the fuel/water in the oil is NORMAL? Everyone is all talking about shortened motor life because of the fuel in the oil, PCV circulation problems, etc. I know you know all this, I've seen your "disagreements" with Tuner Boost on the RX catch can.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jmvdigital
Ugh. I feel like I'm about to open a whole can of worms.

IT, this is first I've read where the fuel/water in the oil is NORMAL? Everyone is all talking about shortened motor life because of the fuel in the oil, PCV circulation problems, etc. I know you know all this, I've seen your "disagreements" with Tuner Boost on the RX catch can.
I'll give you the short version...

All engines have condensation in them. Every one. Do a lot of short trips and it builds up because it never burns off because the oil doesn't get hot enough. It happens to all engines. It's normal as long as you don't have a coolant or fuel leak into the engine.

Google "Milky Oil Cap" and you'll see it's across all brands, all engines.

Here's one from Jeeps:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/milky...er-oil-cap.htm

From that article:
Is this condensation harmful?

If this is indeed condensation caused from a weather change or infrequent use, then typically it is nothing to worry about. The key is to check your dip stick and exhaust. If you see beads of moisture on the dipstick and white smoke coming out of the exhaust of a warm engine, this can indicate a head gasket leaking coolant into the oil system, which is not good. If this is the case, see a mechanic to determine if you do have a more serious problem. A coolant system pressure test can help to get answers. However if you see no moisture on the dip stick and a clean, clear exhaust gas coming out of a warm engine, then it may be just be condensation on the metal surfaces of the crankcase and valve covers and oil cap. Try to wipe it off the cap and out of the filler tube and check it again in a few days. If it is condensation, it is generally minimal moisture in the system and heat can help burn off and purge this moisture.
Here's a Toyota: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ller-neck.html

So yeah it's normal as long as there is no coolant leaking into the oil.

Tuner is trying to scare everyone to drum up catch can sales. He's the only one saying there are PCV "defects", oil dilution issues (except in those with genuine problems), and a valve deposit issue on the Ecoboost (yes they do but nowhere near the levels of other engines).

Over 600k Ecoboost 3.5s out there and the vast, vast majority of them work as advertised.

Last edited by itguy08; 04-14-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Milky deposits on the oil fill caps are more common. Milky oil is not good though, for any engine. Regardless of the cause, it affects the oil's ability to do it's work. The same can be said for fuel in your oil. While it is common in the DI engines, and most oil analysis reports for EBs show a high fuel content, it is not preferred. Longer drives can help evaporate both water and fuel in the oil. But some engines (any brand) have other issues contributing to fuel or water in the oil, and can cause serious problems.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
King Hater

Well the oil level is now about a 1/8" off the top full line, down about 1/2 of what it was.

I drove it all around town and even on the interstate for a short bit.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 AM

From the sounds of it seems to be just condensation since it didn't smell like gas. I'd say on the next warm day take the wife out for another nice long drive and it will be right on point. And I'd also bet once the weather warms up for you it will not happen as frequently as less condensation.
The following users liked this post:
Tothemax (04-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Oil Related Question