Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost Oil Filter going back to the FL-500-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EcoBoost Oil Filter going back to the FL-500-S

Hi everyone. I posted this under a thread addressing the change, but I figured I should also start a new thread with this info.

Hi guys. We just picked up our EcoBoost F-150 this week and love it.

Regarding the oil filter, I contacted Royal Purple to see if they will be offering an oil filter for the FL2055. Champ Labs manufactures Royal Purple, K&N and bunch of other oil filter brands. The person at Royal Purple contacted Champ Labs about this is his response:

"We are aware of the change that Ford made, but just recently we were informed by Ford that they are changing the spec back to the FL-500-S filter. They originally thought there were issues in the testing, but later found out that there was some injection system problems in their testing and that has all been rectified and they will be changing the spec back to the FL-500-S filter. We currently do not have the bulletin from Ford, all we have now is the Ford bulletin that introduces the FL2055 part number. You can continue to check back with me and when we get this bulletin I will be glad to forward it to you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. So if any of the Ford F-150 3.5 Turbos come in they can use the 20-500 filter."
It looks like it's not a big deal and I bet Champ Labs, which makes like 80% of the world's oil filters, probably won't even begin making the FL-2055 oil filter any time soon.

I would be interested to see the comparison between the Royal Purple's innards and the Motorcraft FL-2055's innards since both filters use a synthetic medium, while everyone else uses paper. Thankfully O'Reilly sells the FL-2055 for $8 and not the $22 you'll pay at the dealer, but I'm going to go with the 20-500 Royal Purple filter.

Last edited by tulsapete; 04-29-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it would appear Ford had a situation where they thought they needed the extra filtration, but it was found to be an injection problem. THen why change back if extra filtration is a good thing I wonder why bother. So will they stop making the FL2055? Is the FL500-S the filter which is used on the 5.0 liter? Are they afraid of the more filtration causing an drop in oil pressure? If the FL 2055 is the same other than more filtration area, then why not use it on the 5.0 as well for extra measure? So many questions. I am ready for an oil change in about two weeks (I have 1,000 miles) and would like to know. I know it is a very minute difference anyway, especially if you drain more often say every 5,000 miles rather every 10,000. I would never go that far anyway. The second day I got my truck I set the oil life to 1/2. My truck had 350 miles on it when I got it. This truck was found by my dealer in Dallas and driven to Houston where I picked it up.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I think I'll just use the FL2055 until Ford contacts me with this news.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

This is such BS. I hate posts like these that quote 3rd, 4th and 5th person with no information to back up the claims. If I had a huge BS flag I'd be out raising it right now. I fail to see how an oil filtration issue has to do with an injection issue in this engine. Maybe in an old HEUI diesel system, but not this. And if it did, you can bed Ford would be putting out bulletins everywhere if they were switching back.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Default tulsapete

I appreciate the update but if I have an option by Ford I'm with amascio on this one. I like the idea of more filtration area.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by amascio
I think I'll just use the FL2055 until Ford contacts me with this news.
I second that! Royal Purple is a good oil company but is not underwriting my warranty. I'll keep my 2055 on if something happens I'm still covered!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Will be interesting - since the maintenance supplement to use FL-2055 filters instead is included with every new Ecoboost F-150.

However, this is believable as the FL-2055 TSB is no longer on the www.motorcraftservice.com website
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Why would Royal Purple's oil filter manufacturer lie? Don't you think Ford's 2nd or 3rd phone call about this issue would be to Champ Labs since they make more oil filters than anyone else? I can understand that you guys don't want to risk voiding the warranty until receiving an official notice, but don't call it bull. Its not like I said Jim Bob down at the drag strip told his cousin Joe who told his cellmate Tiny who told his brother during his visit that they're going to start selling nachos at the drag strip's concession stand. This is a Royal Purple official directly quoting a Champ Labs official.

There are many logistics involved in the switch, which is probably why it's not official yet. It takes a lot of time. According to the Royal Purple I spoke with he said Champ Labs turnaround time to manufacture a new filter takes quite awhile, too.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I don't know Hank. He didn't say if Ford was keeping the 2055. More filtration probably not a bad thing. It's not uncommon to see the hardcore "oilphiles" at Bobistheoilguy to run two oil filters.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM

And what I got from the quote is it had to do with their testing equipment, not the engine's injection system.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Oil Filter going back to the FL-500-S