Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Oil Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM
MGD Customs Inc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost Oil Dipstick

Lately I was smelling oil burning when I would come to a stop or park the truck. Worried I would be needing to add oil if it is leaking somewhere I went to check the oil level and the dipstick was half out and it looked as that was where the oil was coming from and running onto exhuast manifold. I talked to the dealer who did service and they knew of no problem. I chalked it up to them not putting the dipstick back in after doing the oil change. But...... the distick has "popped" out 3 times in the last two weeks.

Any ideas of what is causing this, and or a solution. Dealer is stumped as usual.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Boost is leaking into the crankcase and blowing the dipstick out. I've seen this on other FI engines. Most times it's due to a vacuum line that is attached to the wrong port. I would get it checked out. There are other components seeing pressure that aren't supposed to. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mikedillon (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

What he said. Dipsticks only pop out if there is pressure pushing them out. You shouldn't have that much crankcase pressure.

Another thing to check, this happened on my dodge, the tranny dipstick was to long and wouldn't seat properly. Might try trimming a little off the bottom and see if that helps.
mikedillon (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Do you notice any smoking from the tailpipe?

I've seen boost push past gaskets and rings but usually they are accompanied with smoke of different colors (white or blue) during normal conditions (not warming up)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Is the oil level right? If it is too high you are going to build too much crankcase pressure. I've seen caterpillar's pop the fill top out from it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM
FSM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the O ring still on the dipstick. If the O ring is missing it wouldn't take much to come loose.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Crankcase vent/vents is pluged or worst case you have exessive blowby do to brocken or poorly seated rings or a bad piston I would run a compression test to be sure.
mikedillon (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
MGD Customs Inc

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Do you notice any smoking from the tailpipe?

I've seen boost push past gaskets and rings but usually they are accompanied with smoke of different colors (white or blue) during normal conditions (not warming up)
i have only noticed smoke out the back once, when it had been extremely cold out. on initial start it puffed black for a second then cleared right away.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
MGD Customs Inc

Originally Posted by CoreyMS
Is the oil level right? If it is too high you are going to build too much crankcase pressure. I've seen caterpillar's pop the fill top out from it.
oil level is ok. When I first noticed the dipstick out and checked oil was down a little form full which was to be expected as it had been leaking out a bit.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM
MGD Customs Inc

Originally Posted by FSM
Is the O ring still on the dipstick. If the O ring is missing it wouldn't take much to come loose.
i didnt check the dipstick for the o-ring. woulde have hoped the dealer checked it when i told them about the problem. I will look tonight when i get home - thx
Walter48 (02-14-2013)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Oil Dipstick