Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

ecoboost muffler replaced with straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ecoboost muffler replaced with straight pipe

so the other day i unbolted the resonator to see what it would sound like. sounded pretty terrible and shortly thereafter i put the resonator back on but instead of putting it back together i left the muffler off the second time and drove around with just the resonator on. i was amazed on how much quieter it was with just the resonator section on. the thing i liked most about it was being able to distinctly hear turbos. i know my truck will never sound like a v8 and that isn't my goal. i just want to increase the sound coming from the turbos. so i have decided to go to my neighborhood muffler guys and get the muffler cut out and replaced with straight pipe. i was quoted 45bucks for the job and hopefully im not disappointed. i will have it done today afterwork.

there was another thread on this topic but it was dead and the op was inquiring about replacing the muffler with straight pipe. hopefully this will answer some questions that have been lingering in the minds of many eb owners.

just in case this experiment turns out to be a bust, what muffler would you recommend i get in order to increase turbo whistle while not being obnoxiously loud. im not interested in expensive systems just a muffler. i am constantly seeing comments saying that exhaust mods will void your warranty. so i called my local ford service manager and asked him. he assured me that catback modifications will not void my warranty. i suggest you call yours and ask before believing the propaganda.
The following users liked this post:
Auston_ (09-26-2016)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heartthrob + airaid on ecoboost sounds diesel.

artificialman
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really liking my Heartthrob exhaust.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:11 AM

those seem to be the 2 big names when it comes to the eb. i do like the sound on the heartthrob. im just leery of open box intake systems. i asked my service manager about CAI and he told me to stay away from the oil type filters. is there any literature on the safety of CAI? is there any truth on debris slipping thru the filter and damaging the turbos? im an a&p mechanic for the usaf and ive seen the aftermath of catastrophic turbine failure due to debris. in the case i looked at the debris was tiny pebbles and sand. the turbines spin at such a speed and the tolerances are so close that a small hard object damaged a blade enough to throw the balance off the turbine and the vibrations caused it to shake itself apart. now im not saying that its likely to happen in an eb, but is it probable?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM

here is my review.
was very impressed with cold start. It was about as loud as I would like it to be. Wish it always sounded like that. after it warmed up the exhaust note decreased but still remained very mellow. You can barely hear idle from inside the cab. Has a low mellow note from idle to 1600 rpm. After 1900 rpm sound is almost unnoticeable inside the cab. At WOT the exhaust note disappears. 60mph at about 1500rpm there is a drone but hardly noticeable inside cab. 70mph drone is almost gone. From outside, the sound coming from the turbos are very apparent. The whistle cuts right thru the sound of the exhaust. I am actually very impressed with how it turned out. For 45 bucks I increased the sound of my whistle got a very mellow sounding exhaust that doesn’t drone.
i will be uploading clips later today.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is my delete cost me $50 and i can easy put the muffler back in
Attached Thumbnails ecoboost muffler replaced with straight pipe-img_0176.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Go Ducks!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mxyoest29
here is my delete cost me $50 and i can easy put the muffler back in
Ouch, are those three big scratches on the truck????
The following users liked this post:
Cord (10-03-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwysywd
Ouch, are those three big scratches on the truck????

No glare from the lights over the work bench ...lol
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Go Ducks!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mxyoest29
No glare from the lights over the work bench ...lol
whew......
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobeast405
here is my review.
was very impressed with cold start. It was about as loud as I would like it to be. Wish it always sounded like that. after it warmed up the exhaust note decreased but still remained very mellow. You can barely hear idle from inside the cab. Has a low mellow note from idle to 1600 rpm. After 1900 rpm sound is almost unnoticeable inside the cab. At WOT the exhaust note disappears. 60mph at about 1500rpm there is a drone but hardly noticeable inside cab. 70mph drone is almost gone. From outside, the sound coming from the turbos are very apparent. The whistle cuts right thru the sound of the exhaust. I am actually very impressed with how it turned out. For 45 bucks I increased the sound of my whistle got a very mellow sounding exhaust that doesn’t drone.
i will be uploading clips later today.
Very interesting. Please load the clips up. I'm fairly convinced that most of the power gains from the exhaust are going to be the down pipes and not the cat back and I'm not wanting to spend $400-500 on a cat back if I can get a decent sound from just a straight pipe.

Quick Reply: ecoboost muffler replaced with straight pipe