Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost and maximum power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EcoBoost and maximum power

I've heard in the new 2011 EcoBoost models, the system is programmed to only provide 80% power/load initially until a set mileage then will switch over to 100% power/load. Is this correct? Does anybody know what mileage it has to crossover to get maximum power?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Like 1 mile. It goes just as quick off the lot as 10000. Drive nice the first few hundred for reasonable break in.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't notice any difference in mine from mile one to mile 11,500. I drove it off the lot with the tires screeching and it feels the same now as it did then. MPG's have gotten a little better after break-in but that's about it.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine seemed to slowly build more power as it got more miles on it - it would barely chirp the tires when new, and now it can lay long strips of rubber from a rolling start. It didn't seem to have any magical crossover number, it just slowly got more power. I think it was more from the mechanical parts loosening up than any pre-programmed switchover.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

The EcoBoosts definitely seem to improve a bit in both performance and economy after a few thousand miles, but I think it is due to typical engine break-in.

At first I thought no way that Ford would have a special PCM map/program for break-in, but it actually isn't a bad idea! Plenty of innovative thinking in the EcoBoost, certainly something that could be done, and it would make sense. But I've never seen anything referring to it, and as bad as Ford's communication to their dealers seems to be, you would think they would be letting salesfolks and servicefolks know if there was a "reduced power break-in mode" on the EcoBoost.

There is a "transport mode", highly reduced power, left on during transport, supposed to be turned off during dealer prep when the remove all the protective covers, etc. Display on the electronic dash saying transport mode, so you'll know it if it is accidentally left on.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by p38fln
Mine seemed to slowly build more power as it got more miles on it - it would barely chirp the tires when new, and now it can lay long strips of rubber from a rolling start. It didn't seem to have any magical crossover number, it just slowly got more power. I think it was more from the mechanical parts loosening up than any pre-programmed switchover.
Sorry to the OP for the thread jack but somewhat relevant.

Mostly interested in the screw ecoboost trucks but love to hear anyone's experience.

I've heard others say their trucks will light'em up or "lay long strips of rubber" from a rolling start.

Guess I'm concerned that my engine hasn't reached "maximum power".

I would say mine has been broken in enough with 3k miles now.
I'm not able to break them loose to the point where the tires are actually squealing or leaving solid black marks although, you can hear their on the verge of spinning. Kind of like a grippy sound and they do leave faint black marks but their not spinning by any means.

I know a lot of this boils down to configuration of the truck and gearing especially.

Whats everyone's experience mashin the skinny pedal from the dig? No power breaking to build boost just mashin it from a stand still. Road surface makes a big difference too. Blacktop, like not old smooth polished stuff and not new grippy black top either.

Guess I've got burnout envy.

2011 FX4, 3.5l, 5.5 bed, 3.73, 20" Pirelli Scorpions 80-90deg F.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrenegade

Sorry to the OP for the thread jack but somewhat relevant.

Mostly interested in the screw ecoboost trucks but love to hear anyone's experience.

I've heard others say their trucks will light'em up or "lay long strips of rubber" from a rolling start.

Guess I'm concerned that my engine hasn't reached "maximum power".

I would say mine has been broken in enough with 3k miles now.
I'm not able to break them loose to the point where the tires are actually squealing or leaving solid black marks although, you can hear their on the verge of spinning. Kind of like a grippy sound and they do leave faint black marks but their not spinning by any means.

I know a lot of this boils down to configuration of the truck and gearing especially.

Whats everyone's experience mashin the skinny pedal from the dig? No power breaking to build boost just mashin it from a stand still. Road surface makes a big difference too. Blacktop, like not old smooth polished stuff and not new grippy black top either.

Guess I've got burnout envy.

2011 FX4, 3.5l, 5.5 bed, 3.73, 20" Pirelli Scorpions 80-90deg F.
^^ I maybe incorrect but if u have stock 20" wheels from the factory than I do believe u should have a 4.10 gear ratio instead of 3.73. My ecoscrew fx4 has 18s and doesn't do burn outs like the ones seen on YouTube. But I do believe those videos are of rwd trucks not sure if that would assist in the hellacious burnouts I've seen ecoboost f150s do online on top of some power braking to get the tires going.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by s0nicsvt04
^^ I maybe incorrect but if u have stock 20" wheels from the factory than I do believe u should have a 4.10 gear ratio instead of 3.73. My ecoscrew fx4 has 18s and doesn't do burn outs like the ones seen on YouTube. But I do believe those videos are of rwd trucks not sure if that would assist in the hellacious burnouts I've seen ecoboost f150s do online on top of some power braking to get the tires going.
No... The 17", 18", and 20" wheels on 4x4's all have almost identical tire diameters. The sidewall shrinks as the wheel diameter grows. And the 4.10 gears are not coupled in any way to 20" wheels.

As for hellacious burnouts, yea, if you want to do them you need to re-learn how to power-break (think back to when you where sixteen).
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Since this is about EB power, I thought I would ask about my "problem"
I keep reading that there is no noticeable lag on these engines but when I step into it there is a noticeable hesitation, then, wham and into the power.
It's been this way since day one.
I've also got the stuttering idle.
I've got 7500km on now and will be taking it in for it's first service soon so I'll be asking the dealer also.
Could this be lag or something in the computer?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
Since this is about EB power, I thought I would ask about my "problem"
I keep reading that there is no noticeable lag on these engines but when I step into it there is a noticeable hesitation, then, wham and into the power.
It's been this way since day one.
I've also got the stuttering idle.
I've got 7500km on now and will be taking it in for it's first service soon so I'll be asking the dealer also.
Could this be lag or something in the computer?
Normal. IMO

These trucks do have a slight bit of lag before the boost builds but not much. If the boost came on too early it would probably create some drive ability issues. Can you imagine "wham" every time you were at part throttle leaving a light.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost and maximum power