Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Lemon Law

Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost Lemon Law

Wondering if anyone on the forum has had their ecoboost bought back/refunded under lemon law??

I have a 2012 Ecoboost that has been repair 3 times for CAC condensation issues. First for the reprogram and defector. Second for the left hand cat. conv. and the third visit telling me that Ford is aware of the issue and engineering is still working on a fix.

I love my truck and dont want to give it up but I would like to know if anyone has went through this so I can have my ducks in a row just in case this turns into a big issue.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Check your local state laws concerning it. They vary from place to place.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck yes
3 times and still no fix sounds like a lemon to me.

I would return a $700 TV that could not fix, I sure the heck would not put up with a $40,000 truck they could not fix.
the more i spent on something the more I would demand that its 100%
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the exact same situation as you, flash, then cac and cat replace, now nothing. I just sent my lemon law letter to ford yesterday after my truck cut out next to a semi that was swerving towards me, there was a car behind me and accelerating was my only option beside going off the side of the road. So when the truck wouldn't accelerate and just fell on its face and started shaking I had no choice but to swerve off the road. I'm not willing to wait any longer for a fix and possibly get killed or wreck my truck in the process. I love this truck but this is a safety issue.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by devojrx7
...my truck cut out next to a semi that was swerving towards me, there was a car behind me and accelerating was my only option beside going off the side of the road. So when the truck wouldn't accelerate and just fell on its face and started shaking I had no choice but to swerve off the road. ...possibly get killed or wreck my truck in the process. I love this truck but this is a safety issue.
There are about half a million Ecoboost F150's on the road. A bunch of people write here that they've been almost killed by theirs, but there hasn't been a single report of an accident, let along injury or death.

I would like to point out that having power is NOT a safety feature. If it were, cars would be designed very different.

Why would you just let off the gas and coast or brake? At least in my state, it's the responsibility of the trailing vehicle to not collide into the rear of a slower moving or decelerating vehicle.

Yes, it sucks that you lose power every now and then, but I think people are getting over-dramatic about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by engineermike:
brucesears (04-17-2013), KILOFINAL (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike

There are about half a million Ecoboost F150's on the road. A bunch of people write here that they've been almost killed by theirs, but there hasn't been a single report of an accident, let along injury or death.

I would like to point out that having power is NOT a safety feature. If it were, cars would be designed very different.

Why would you just let off the gas and coast or brake? At least in my state, it's the responsibility of the trailing vehicle to not collide into the rear of a slower moving or decelerating vehicle.

Yes, it sucks that you lose power every now and then, but I think people are getting over-dramatic about it.
I guess someone will have to die in a head on collision because while passing a tractor trailer, lost all power when almost around the tractor trailer, and was forced to slam on the brakes to try to get back into the lane but didn't make it. You dont know until you've felt the helplessness of experiencing that. Wait till it happens to you and you aren't there to say goodnight to your child because of a know problem with these engines that is not being addressed.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey, when I put heel to the steel,
What I want to feel
Is my hind wheels peel!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM

More people have died from stray hockey pucks than ecoboost loss-of-power.

As I said...
... I think people are getting over-dramatic about it.
When you guys choose to pass a semi, just how much safety factor are you leaving yourselves? I rarely pass one, but when I do I make sure there is PLENTY of clear road up ahead.

If, god forbid, someone does get into a head-on collision in this scenario, you can bet that the decision to pass will be questioned and the driver will bear some of the fault.

Last edited by engineermike; 04-17-2013 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

If, god forbid, someone does get into a head-on collision in this scenario, you can bet that the decision to pass will be questioned and the driver will bear some of the fault.
Scenario: Someone is crossing the street when the Walk symbol is present at a crosswalk, and there is a Malfunction in the traffic light system that allowed for a Green light coming from the side of that person, and they are struck and killed. Who is more to blame? The person for not looking both ways before entering the street, or the Malfunctioning traffic light system?

Personally, I'm with you on leaving myself plenty of buffer time if I'm ever considering passing someone. The issue with this scenario is 99 times out of a hundred, that buffer you've left is more than plenty. When there is a malfunction that is out of your control, that buffer may rapidly close.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by HunterSmitty
Scenario: Someone is crossing the street when the Walk symbol is present at a crosswalk, and there is a Malfunction in the traffic light system that allowed for a Green light coming from the side of that person, and they are struck and killed. Who is more to blame? The person for not looking both ways before entering the street, or the Malfunctioning traffic light system? ....
Great example. I NEVER trust a traffic light. I ALWAYS check for myself to make sure vehicles are stopping before I pull out or walk. I don't want to put my life in the hands of a) an electronic device and b) other drivers, when possible.

Of course, in your case, the traffic light is to blame. But (again, in my state) comparative fault puts some amount of blame on all parties. Walking across the street without checking yourself for traffic would put some amount of blame on the walker. Passing a semi with oncoming traffic is an inherently dangerous activity, more so than crossing a street, so I believe you would shoulder a larger portion of the blame. Choosing to walk across the street is not the same risk acceptance as passing a semi with oncoming traffic.

Last edited by engineermike; 04-17-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost Lemon Law