Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost Issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EcoBoost Issues :(

Hello! This is my first time posting on F150Forum.COM but I have been a visitor for the last several years, and I thought that I would tell my story and some issues that I have been having with my F150.

So I traded my 2011 F150 5.0 in for a 2013 EcoBoost for two reasons, one I loved the sound of the turbos spinning up and second I wanted to get a little better fuel economy. I don't tow too often, but when I do the truck always steps up to the occasion.

My issues first started in May of 2013 with the classic shutter and flashing check engine light during damp/wet conditions. Unlike many people with the shutter issues start my truck shuts completely down. Some times you can put it in neutral and restart it others, you have to pull over and let it sit. I have had it to the dealer several times and because it was built in April 2013 Ford says it has all the updates and they do not know what could be causing the issues.

Before this week the truck has been in the shop for a total of a month and still not any closer to a solution that before.

I took the truck in today 4/7 for the following issues and wanted to see if any other users have had any of theses. Im beginning to think this truck was built at 4:59 on a Friday before a long weekend
  • In 1 month under 1500 miles it has burnt 2 qts of oil
  • strong burning smell in the cab smells like burning oil or electrical not too sure -- thought it was brakes but those check out
  • Under heavy acceleration the turbo whines very loud and the truck falls flat on its face -- no power
  • When checking the oil (I have done my last 2 oil changes) the oil smells like strait gas, not a slight hint but full fledge gas. (Could be normal with the turbo in the cold not entirly sure but it was enough to make me wonder (But it is much much stronger this oil check))
  • Countless knocks and rattles on the interior, mostly door panels and when driver side windows is half down here a constant knocking on the glass
  • It has started shifting hard, and when coming to a stop you get a sudden pound or thrust forward
  • Shutter in damp/wet conditions -- I dont let my family ride with me in the rain --
  • Random CEL and misfires
  • Gas Gauge every couple of weeks stops working for a drive cycle...

As frustrating as all of this is Ford has been helpful and I have been working with a CSR from Detroit who has been very supportive so despite the issues I will continue to be a Ford fan for life...

I just wanted some input from other users. What are your thoughts??
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

You traded in the 5.0 for better fuel economy? I think the numbers are negligible. I returned my EB due to issues with the engine and now will be getting the 3.7. I never bought the EB solely for fuel economy and the ratings aren't that much better than the 5.0.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Well of course the main reason was the turbo noise!! lol. I know... I wish I would have kept the 5.0 she was a good truck.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Lemon Law perhaps? Trade it in if possible?

Only thing that's worse than the EB issues in the first place is the fact that most of the trucks with the issues never seem to get better. At least not 100%. :/
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

U have some real problems with this one. Can't help you much. I'm gonna take a stab at it with a bad oil leak to somewhere hot. There should be black scorched spot there. Since you seem to have funky Turbo's I look at these first. The oil filter area or loose drain plug ?

Last edited by papa tiger; 04-08-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You traded a 5.0 for an ecoboost because you liked the sound better.....umm.......I guess everyone has their own taste. I love the sound of the 5.0
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lewis289
Hello! This is my first time posting on F150Forum.COM but I have been a visitor for the last several years, and I thought that I would tell my story and some issues that I have been having with my F150.

So I traded my 2011 F150 5.0 in for a 2013 EcoBoost for two reasons, one I loved the sound of the turbos spinning up and second I wanted to get a little better fuel economy. I don't tow too often, but when I do the truck always steps up to the occasion.

My issues first started in May of 2013 with the classic shutter and flashing check engine light during damp/wet conditions. Unlike many people with the shutter issues start my truck shuts completely down. Some times you can put it in neutral and restart it others, you have to pull over and let it sit. I have had it to the dealer several times and because it was built in April 2013 Ford says it has all the updates and they do not know what could be causing the issues.

Before this week the truck has been in the shop for a total of a month and still not any closer to a solution that before.

I took the truck in today 4/7 for the following issues and wanted to see if any other users have had any of theses. Im beginning to think this truck was built at 4:59 on a Friday before a long weekend
  • In 1 month under 1500 miles it has burnt 2 qts of oil
  • strong burning smell in the cab smells like burning oil or electrical not too sure -- thought it was brakes but those check out
  • Under heavy acceleration the turbo whines very loud and the truck falls flat on its face -- no power
  • When checking the oil (I have done my last 2 oil changes) the oil smells like strait gas, not a slight hint but full fledge gas. (Could be normal with the turbo in the cold not entirly sure but it was enough to make me wonder (But it is much much stronger this oil check))
  • Countless knocks and rattles on the interior, mostly door panels and when driver side windows is half down here a constant knocking on the glass
  • It has started shifting hard, and when coming to a stop you get a sudden pound or thrust forward
  • Shutter in damp/wet conditions -- I dont let my family ride with me in the rain --
  • Random CEL and misfires
  • Gas Gauge every couple of weeks stops working for a drive cycle...

As frustrating as all of this is Ford has been helpful and I have been working with a CSR from Detroit who has been very supportive so despite the issues I will continue to be a Ford fan for life...

I just wanted some input from other users. What are your thoughts??

You may have some deeper issues, but most sounds like the standard EB problems Ford has been chasing. There is an aftermarket solution that should solve all the symptoms, but you will still need to monitor to see if you have a leaking HPDI pump adding that gas to the oil. It dilutes the oil and will cause engine damage over time.

Contact ecoboostpowerparts, a supporting vendor here for the solution.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt
You traded a 5.0 for an ecoboost because you liked the sound better.....umm.......I guess everyone has their own taste. I love the sound of the 5.0
To each their own I suppose lol!! I just enjoy hearing the turbos spool when it works right!!

Thanks Tuner Boost, I am looking to keep with a stock solution for now as the truck has a 150,000 Factory Ford Warranty. Its just frustrating to spend so much $$$$ on something and have it in the shop 1/10 of its life!

Thanks

Edit:

I will be the first one to say that I am a little frustrated, but all new motors have their issues, going back to when BMW started to mass introduce turbos in the late 90's and I am sure the GM active fuel management have had their fair share of issues. I just want mine fixed and not to stir up the pot of the ECOboost engine. Althougth my 5.0 was a flawless truck for 75,000 miles.

Last edited by Lewis289; 04-08-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I have 53K on my 2011 EB now with no problems other than falling on its face in the rain twice. While I have some concerns about longevity, I seem to have one of the good ones and would be even more concerned about trading it in for another. It seems that many of the '13 get worse economy and performance than mine. At this point, I am looking forward to see how the 2015 turns out.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Quick update. The dealer has replaced an oil cooling line, did the tsb for the damp weather shudder and the fuel in oil. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow!

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Issues :(