Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Intercooler Upgrade made in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Ecoboost Intercooler Upgrade made in Germany

I am live in Germany and imported the First EB, as we do not have any Performance Shop for those Truck arround, i had to do it on my own. I am planning to haul a 5th Wheel Trailer with my EB, so i decided to build a bigger intercooler, to keep the Air cold and lower Speed.
As i am in the Performance Business ( with German cars actually), i had a very good start with. The Intercooler has a unique Shape to fit perfect into the F150. Endtanks Are Cast Aluminum, CAD Designed and CNC Machined.
So, at all, its a bolt on Job and fits Straight in.
i logged today the Intake Temperature with the Cooler and it never went over 6° more then Ambient, which is very good.

I also did not liked the Big Hole in my Bumper, so i made a new Stainless Steel Inlet Gitter to match my Platinum Front Grill. Now i am not worried anymore about overheating, like Ford claimes when you put a Gitter in...

so what do you Guys think?

The following 8 users liked this post by GermanEB:
05mustang_tt_charged (09-21-2012), aai (01-01-2013), DirtBusters (10-02-2012), engineermike (09-05-2012), gimmie11s (09-06-2012), jmummery (12-04-2012), prime8 (09-07-2012), turbo35 (09-05-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

09-05-2012, 08:43 PM
engineermike

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

@ guys already complaining about the price, did you look closely at the end tanks? Those custom cast aluminum pieces CNC machined with complicated geometry are a work of art. I, for one, am impressed. Then again, I've built my own intercoolers so I know how much work it is, while his looks 10x better than anything I ever did. Plus, he went out of his way to make it fit into the stock mounts and hook up to stock piping, making installation a breeze. This isn't a $199 Chinese intercooler off ebay with tie-wraps holding it in place!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

How much to buy, US currency?
And what kind of pressure drop vs stock did you see?

Last edited by jcain; 09-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob1334 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nicee!!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Looks great Carsten! Done much testing on it yet? Been looking forward to seeing you release it.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

very nice. Like the fully welded metal endcaps vs the stock plastic molded
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Franchi Motorsports
Looks great Carsten! Done much testing on it yet? Been looking forward to seeing you release it.
I just went yesterday back to Germany, so today I finally installed the Cooler. I just measured the Intercooler outlet Temp on the stock and my cooler. I tried to log the data from OBD via REV, but it want show me the IAT... So I need another tool to log the data properly. Any suggestions what to use?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jcain
How much to buy, US currency?
And what kind of pressure drop vs stock did you see?
Arround 1290$. I did not measured pressure drop on the oem unit, ours has 0.01bar/5qm3/min
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any way to integrate a water separator on the tubing for the condensation in the intercooler we are all having? Think you would sell more of those instead of us waiting on Ford for a fix.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanEB
I am live in Germany and imported the First EB, as we do not have any Performance Shop for those Truck arround, i had to do it on my own. I am planning to haul a 5th Wheel Trailer with my EB, so i decided to build a bigger intercooler, to keep the Air cold and lower Speed.
As i am in the Performance Business ( with German cars actually), i had a very good start with. The Intercooler has a unique Shape to fit perfect into the F150. Endtanks Are Cast Aluminum, CAD Designed and CNC Machined.
So, at all, its a bolt on Job and fits Straight in.
i logged today the Intake Temperature with the Cooler and it never went over 6° more then Ambient, which is very good.

I also did not liked the Big Hole in my Bumper, so i made a new Stainless Steel Inlet Gitter to match my Platinum Front Grill. Now i am not worried anymore about overheating, like Ford claimes when you put a Gitter in...

so what do you Guys think?
Sir,

I'm about to make you insanely rich, so please pay close attention.

Use this forum to your advantage, it is full of valuable information. Find someone here whom has the "fall on its face" issue and or the 55 MPH shudder. Make sure it is someone whom can produce the problem reliably and easily.

Bring your prototype here and install it on their truck. If the issue is resolved, begin researching how you wish to spend your retirement.

Find a way to mass produce, drop that price to $500 US and open a bank account.

I foresee a plane trip to Texas in your future!

Sincerely,

BucketMan

p.s.; Dont forget my screen name once your rich!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BucketMan

Sir,

I'm about to make you insanely rich, so please pay close attention.

Use this forum to your advantage, it is full of valuable information. Find someone here whom has the "fall on its face" issue and or the 55 MPH shudder. Make sure it is someone whom can produce the problem reliably and easily.

Bring your prototype here and install it on their truck. If the issue is resolved, begin researching how you wish to spend your retirement.

Find a way to mass produce, drop that price to $500 US and open a bank account.

I foresee a plane trip to Texas in your future!

Sincerely,

BucketMan

p.s.; Dont forget my screen name once your rich!
Ditto whoever can find a fix could bank just off this forum alone!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Intercooler Upgrade made in Germany