Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost Hesitation VIDEO - Is this "shudder"? I don't think so.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EcoBoost Hesitation VIDEO - Is this "shudder"? I don't think so.

Hey guys, I just got my truck about 2 weeks ago (13 Ecoboost screw w/ 6.5' bed, 32k miles, all stock) and I'm extremely happy with it except for a couple things.

1. TERRIBLE fuel mileage. I drove 5 hours home from the dealership and did a 6 hour road trip last weekend and no matter what I do it won't get over 14mpg. Highway or city it stays between 13.6-14.

2. This hesitation under partial throttle/ light boost. This happens most of the time I accelerate with medium throttle or if I'm going up a hill. Check out the video link to see what's happening.

I've read about 30 pages of different Ecoboost "shudder" threads but didn't really have a good idea of what the "shudder" is since no one posted a video of it, so I assumed that's what the problem was with my truck. So I decided to drill the 1/16" hole in my intercooler and go for a drive. I drove around 12 miles and it didn't make a difference in performance at all but when I got home I saw that a bunch of crap was definitely in the IC and had exited through the hole I drilled.

Here's a video I put on Youtube to show the problem.

Questions:

Can you guys tell from the video what could be causing this hesitation? If it is "the shudder" do I need to just drive around more to get more crap out of the IC before I notice better performance?

I also thought it could need new spark plugs so I ordered SP534 plugs that will be here Monday. Should I also order the WR6135 spark plug boots to do at the same time or is that not necessary?

I have a Livernois catted downpipe that I am waiting to put on and I just ordered an SCT X4 with 5 Star tunes that will be here next week so I'd like to get this fixed before I install those. Is there any other "tune up" parts that you guys would recommend to buy now to help the truck run better with the tune and downpipe?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NateSVT
Hey guys, I just got my truck about 2 weeks ago (13 Ecoboost screw w/ 6.5' bed, 32k miles, all stock) and I'm extremely happy with it except for a couple things.

1. TERRIBLE fuel mileage. I drove 5 hours home from the dealership and did a 6 hour road trip last weekend and no matter what I do it won't get over 14mpg. Highway or city it stays between 13.6-14.

2. This hesitation under partial throttle/ light boost. This happens most of the time I accelerate with medium throttle or if I'm going up a hill. Check out the video link to see what's happening.

I've read about 30 pages of different Ecoboost "shudder" threads but didn't really have a good idea of what the "shudder" is since no one posted a video of it, so I assumed that's what the problem was with my truck. So I decided to drill the 1/16" hole in my intercooler and go for a drive. I drove around 12 miles and it didn't make a difference in performance at all but when I got home I saw that a bunch of crap was definitely in the IC and had exited through the hole I drilled.

Here's a video I put on Youtube to show the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWmBizNvZc

Questions:

Can you guys tell from the video what could be causing this hesitation? If it is "the shudder" do I need to just drive around more to get more crap out of the IC before I notice better performance?

I also thought it could need new spark plugs so I ordered SP534 plugs that will be here Monday. Should I also order the WR6135 spark plug boots to do at the same time or is that not necessary?

I have a Livernois catted downpipe that I am waiting to put on and I just ordered an SCT X4 with 5 Star tunes that will be here next week so I'd like to get this fixed before I install those. Is there any other "tune up" parts that you guys would recommend to buy now to help the truck run better with the tune and downpipe?

Thanks
That noise sounds like a noise in 2 videos in another thread on another site. The guys there said blow off valve, waste gate, or turbo was bad. They mentioned the waste gate couldn't be replaced seperately from the turbo, so turbo or BOV replacement, if they're correct. I don't suppose I can post a link since it's a competing forum. You can PM me for the link if you want. That swish, swish, or squeek, squeek noise before you really got into the throttle sounded identical to those other 2 videos. Still under warranty, right?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is correct. The shuter videos i saw were more violent and had noticeable chugging with no other noises.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I'd also say turbo related
Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to install the new plugs when they come in and if that doesn't fix it then I'll take it to dealer. I'll clean up all the oil and crap that came out of the IC hole to make it less noticeable but will they give me **** about the hole being there? I could try and cover/fill it with black RTV.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:21 PM

New plugs won't fix this issue. I would have them look at it and do your plugs last.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by NateSVT
I'm going to install the new plugs when they come in and if that doesn't fix it then I'll take it to dealer. I'll clean up all the oil and crap that came out of the IC hole to make it less noticeable but will they give me **** about the hole being there? I could try and cover/fill it with black RTV.
I'd clean the area real good then put a small machined screw in there, hit it with some black spray paint. Most likely they won't notice either way
Old 03-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Keep us informed on what the dealer says for new turbo/BOV. Curious how bad they will hurt you since you just bought it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:02 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
I'd clean the area real good then put a small machined screw in there, hit it with some black spray paint. Most likely they won't notice either way
Waste of time
Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Waste of time
Yup, that's why I said most likely won't notice either way, my service department has never noticed it or at least they haven't mentioned, when I had truck in for engine warranty work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcoBoost Hesitation VIDEO - Is this "shudder"? I don't think so.