Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecoboost FYI

Not bashing my truck here at all. I just want to put this out there in case something similar pops up for another owner.

On Sunday I was taking the wife to Bass Pro for a little shopping. I was getting on the Interstate when I noticed a car flying up the ramp towards me. I focused my attention to my mirror and noticed only a hand on the wheel of the car behind me. The driver was obviously distracted by something on the floorboard. Anyway I punched the throttle to keep from getting run over. The truck responded, and got me out of the way. About 500 feet from going WOT the truck began "hopping." The SES light began blinking. I immediately started to pull off to the side of the road. When the Speedo got below 55mph the light stopped blinking.

Took it in to the dealer today. No codes at all. The mechanic has instructed me to safely try to recreate the exact situation to see if it happens again (hopefully without the distracted driver behind me). His opinion was that the truck broke traction and allowed the engine to hit the rev limiter or over-rev. He gave me the traction control speech. I have never even pushed the button to see what happens with it off...yet. Like I said this is just to get it out there. Any opinions? Something we missed?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Retired Sr NCO

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you lost traction. What you are describing sound like axle hop. I thin the mechanic might be right.

Keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

You may have gone over 93mph which will throttle the truck back as Ford has introduced a govenor. I have done that multiple times without realizing it when some jackass flies up my **** and I punch it....
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks for the replies! Thinking back to the situation the road was "dry" but it rained about 1.5" the previous day. That could easily cause a traction loss/traction gain game causing wheel hop.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost FYI