Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost exhaust that sounds like a performance V6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ecoboost exhaust that sounds like a performance V6?

I just bought my second Eco. My first I bought new and was scared of ruining the factory warranty, so I drove it stock and whisper quiet for a couple years before I got bored with it. I traded that truck on a Silverado SS with Corsa exhaust that sounded simply amazing. That truck was more fun and rewarding to drive in pretty much every way. The SS made the wonderful sounds a V8 can. Family life has dictated I need more room than a extended cab and I now have a 2013 limited. I already have a lowering kit on the way to deal with handling issues.

I have owned several performance vehicles with 4-8 cylinders. They have all had their own unique sound. I'm struggling to find a exhaust for the Eco that makes it sound like the high performance V6 it is. After spending far too many hrs listening to sound clips of various exhaust setup I'm getting the feeling most manufactures are trying to make the Eco sound like a V-8 (and failing) rather than embracing the fact it is something different.

Have any of you come across a exhaust that gives off more of a sporty sound? I know a V6 is going to have a higher pitch than a V8, but that doesn't mean it cant sound mean doing it.

For reference here are a pair of nasty sounding turbo V-6's.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with everything you are saying and both of those cars sound great to me! I'm thinking the ecoboost just isn't hyper enough to make those sounds? I suppose if you wanted to get as close as you can order some Akropovic cans and build a custom one off exhaust. Then work on the engine to get it to rev nice and fast like that. I'm not expert at all but I for one wouldn't mind my truck sounding like either of those cars!! Haha
Old 11-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

This doesn't sound bad either! Obviously a completely different animal than our trucks but maybe as close as you can get in comparison since its a 3.5 v6 TT? Again its a hyper engine I think that plays a big part, maybe you can look into what exhaust Ford is using on these and try to copy it as close as possible? I'm not sure if I would want to know the price though!!

Old 11-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The closest and best way to a decent sound out of this engine is cat-less downpipes and stock muffler.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I've listened to a few different set up's in person. Down-pipe (catless is slightly louder than high-flow catted) with 4" piping seems to give a deeper, rich tone. The Eco's in the trucks don't really rev like the cars above. You can achieve a "similar" sound to a GT-R when it's running in the lower RPM's.

I'm a fan of larger Magnaflow mufflers. smaller mufflers like on the AFE bolt-on kit are too loud and drone too much for me.

FWIW, the 4" is really only for deeper sound. A few dyno runs I've seen show that 3" perform better (15-20hp depending on set up).
Old 11-20-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

For a full system, Corsa's is probably one of he better ones for the Eco.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Shopping for a Jaguar F Pace.... now they have the exhaust sound down!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah the Corsa DB is probably the closest you are going to get. I just installed one on my truck last week, and it sounds decent.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

The problem is the unequal distance to the merge. All those above are dual exhaust with equal length pipes on either side. I'd love to see someone try this on an f-150:

Last edited by engineermike; 11-20-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

From all the clips I've watched I've been most impressed with the Corsa.

That Jag sounded great but its not a turbo. Even a stock V-6 Mitsu Eclipse sounds good, but its a NA engine.

I had never given thought to the unequal exhaust paths, but that does make sense.