Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost engine steams in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecoboost engine steams in the rain?

Just trying to find out if this is a common problem or isolated incident or two.....appears that members of another forum are reporting significant amounts of steam coming from their engines when it rains (when stopped)........enough so that pedestrians have thought their trucks were on fire.........just ordered my EB a couple of weeks ago..........this would not be cool and may be a deal breaker for my Pacific Northwest climate........anyone? Here is a link that illustrates the issue.........
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Retired Sr NCO

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When hot things get wet, they will steam in the cold. I don't see the issue here. The truck has electric fans and when they are not running they are not pulling the air through the radiator. The steam has to go somewhere.

I just don't see the issue.......
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Hoon
When hot things get wet, they will steam in the cold. I don't see the issue here. The truck has electric fans and when they are not running they are not pulling the air through the radiator. The steam has to go somewhere.

I just don't see the issue.......
I have electric fans and my truck does not do that.................
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been following and trying to figure it out on the other forum - It appears to only happen to ecoboost trucks without skid plates.
Mine has skid plates, and will steam just like in the video - if the CAC gets wet in a car wash or some other way that sprays water directly through the front, but never in normal driving, even if I go through a huge puddle.

No one answered my question on the other site on if non-skid plate ecoboosts still have the rubber mat from the front of the CAC to the front of the skid plate under the engine - that appears to be what's keeping the water out of mine
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Hopefully that's the case as I ordered mine with skid plates.........not that I will use it for much off roading but for the occasional hunting trip the extra protection at a low cost is worth it........wondering if the rain is hitting face on whether the "bug screen" that I usually put on my trucks to add some protection to the rad would prevent this also........surely there must be an easy fix.....
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Do the ones with the steam have a lower grill in place of the open spot for the coolers?

As stated above, every engine gets stinking hot, and if it gets water on it will steam, so theoreticly if they are driving through heavy rain or behind someone throwing water up and they dont have a billet grill in the lower section, could be water getting into the compartment through there maybe?

My theory is through elimination.....water gets into engine compartment.....truck body is the same for other engines that dont do this except for one thing, they have an open hole now to cool the turbo.....ergo, it must be the one thing that is different.... lets see if logic works :P

Last edited by Rhyder; 04-11-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: corrected spelling I noticed, I miss alot so excuse it or dont.......
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

No it really seems to be the skid plates keeping the water out - mine doesn't have the billet grille but does have skid plates and has never steamed in normal use

The thing that's steaming appears to be the charge air cooler, which is below and in front of the other radiators
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by p38fln
No it really seems to be the skid plates keeping the water out - mine doesn't have the billet grille but does have skid plates and has never steamed in normal use

The thing that's steaming appears to be the charge air cooler, which is below and in front of the other radiators
But that would mean that all the other engines, that dont steam, come with skid plates standard........

As far as it coming from the coolers, that reenforces my theory
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Got Boost?

This happens with my FST snowmobiles after a long run at idle the hot air from the turbo "pools" in the inter-cooler and when water hits it there is much steam generated.

I have not had it happen with my EB but could certainly see it happening...I would not be concerned.

If it bothers you keep moving forward
Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is water getting on the intercooler and causing the steam. I don't see a problem either!!!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost engine steams in the rain?