Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

ecoboost engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecoboost engine braking

Checking on anyones experience with the ecoboost as far as using the engine to slow yourself down. I live on a fairly steep hill, some parts approaching 8% grade and the ecoboost won't even come close to slowing the truck down. Even down in first gear it will rev engine up to 4000 rpm rapidly, even tends to jump a couple of hundred rpm's at a time. This is running completely empty, I would hate to think of a 10,000lb trailer behind me on some of these big mountain passes in the west. Thinking of installing a drag chute to slow this thing down.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

7% grade going to myrtle beach from east Tn. Pulling 7500# travel trailer. Touched the brakes twice.

Granted, was a nice wide interstate and mostly gradual curves. It dropped to third gear and did just fine. Didn't get over 60 mph.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM

I was impressed with its engine braking and trans grade logic.

If you are comparing it to a diesel jake brake, or motorhome pac brake, then you'll be disappointed.

Not sure what experience you have with gasoline half tons, but Ive never driven/towed with a better setup in this category.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After being used to the engine braking of my 6.0l psd , my EB is **** for engine braking, i dont have anythinh else to compair it to though. But it pulls like a diesel.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, works like a charm.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

It engine brakes far better than any 3.5 liter V6 should. It's as good or better as my 6.0 gas GM HD. NOT a competitor to a diesel for engine braking, that's physically impossible.
The real treat I found towing is how well the integrated brake controller worked with it's progressive braking and working in cooperation with the engine braking system and tow /haul.
All works very well together at least at higher speeds. I could see how 1st gear crawling may act just like any other gas powered automatic tranny setup.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Default Rather replace brake pads vs trans repair

Originally Posted by Bajachardo
Checking on anyones experience with the ecoboost as far as using the engine to slow yourself down. I live on a fairly steep hill, some parts approaching 8% grade and the ecoboost won't even come close to slowing the truck down. Even down in first gear it will rev engine up to 4000 rpm rapidly, even tends to jump a couple of hundred rpm's at a time. This is running completely empty, I would hate to think of a 10,000lb trailer behind me on some of these big mountain passes in the west. Thinking of installing a drag chute to slow this thing down.
Your engine-braking description sounds a lot like what I see.

Been over Sonora Ca. Pass 9400' 26% grade a number of times empty or lightly loaded, (Maybe 1000 lb.s) 15-25mph curves. Truck computer indicates a high of 9 degrees here. Turbos to the top like a bat out of hell! Downhill the little 3.5/6R80/3.55 combo engine-brakes better than expected, surpassing the 5.3/4L60E/3.73 GMC it replaced.

Also note engine holds back better about 2800-3200rpm, then seems to pass through to 4000 rpm pretty quickly, again holding some better above 4200-4500 rpm. Same rpm response seen steep downhill in 4Lo. (Cam phasor influence???)

I find service brakes generally are not needed on hills indicating 4 degrees or less to maintain speed and keep the engine below 3500 rpm.

Discussed operation with my dealer's transmission mechanic. He says some internal transmission parts run 4X faster than the input shaft and create a lot of heat, (4500 engine rpm x 4 = 18,000 rpm). I'd seen transmission temperatures go up maybe ten degrees during prolonged heavy engine-braking. This Tech didn't think prolonged engine-braking at 4000 rpm was good for a long transmission life, and not the best way to drive the truck.

Steep downhill now I still usually lock out upper gears or use M, but only allow the truck to drift to 3500 rpm, then apply fairly light service brakes down to about 25-2800 rpm.

I wonder how the 6.2 performs under heavy engine-braking?

SC XLT 4x4 3.5L 3.55 5.5 bed
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Ecoboosting since 2011!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bajachardo
Gas engine's are NEVER going to give good engine breaking, adequate but not GOOD. Diesel's are always going to be better, its the nature of the beast. If you need a truck that will have an engine brake you need a DIESEL.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 PM

I towed a 7500 lb 24 ft enclosed car trailer loaded with 1200 hp mustang from central NJ to Columbus Ohio through the hilly western PA, NE WV and eastern Ohio.

Versus my 04 5.4 F150 the ecoboost was a pleasure to drive in tow haul mode. The engine braking made the truck feel much more confident driving in traffic up and down hills.

A big improvement.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcj50
I towed a 7500 lb 24 ft enclosed car trailer loaded with 1200 hp mustang from central NJ to Columbus Ohio through the hilly western PA, NE WV and eastern Ohio.

Versus my 04 5.4 F150 the ecoboost was a pleasure to drive in tow haul mode. The engine braking made the truck feel much more confident driving in traffic up and down hills.

A big improvement.
Thats a very lightweight mustang is that beast made of carbon fiber? My bad I correct myself that's 1200hp not weight lol

Quick Reply: ecoboost engine braking