Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Coil Over Plug Lifespan.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ecoboost Coil Over Plug Lifespan.

Any one know when these should be replaced? Did my plugs about 20k ago and the truck seems to have a slight miss under load at times. I have the hole in my intercooler.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedXLT
Any one know when these should be replaced? Did my plugs about 20k ago and the truck seems to have a slight miss under load at times. I have the hole in my intercooler.
On the '11-'12's it is recommended to change the plug boots when you do the plugs. The early ones let spark by-pass the spark plug and have since been updated. When you install the new boots, also put some di-electric grease on the inside of the boot. It will help keep spark from jumping as well as make it easier to remove the boots on the next plug change.

Looks for carbon tracking on the plugs when you pull the boots (have to pull the plugs to see.

If you still have issue, check the plugs closely, it is easy to crack the porcelain.

It is unlikely that the COP has any issue or will for some time. Same tech that's been around and should last well past 200k
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
On the '11-'12's it is recommended to change the plug boots when you do the plugs. The early ones let spark by-pass the spark plug and have since been updated. When you install the new boots, also put some di-electric grease on the inside of the boot. It will help keep spark from jumping as well as make it easier to remove the boots on the next plug change.

Looks for carbon tracking on the plugs when you pull the boots (have to pull the plugs to see.

If you still have issue, check the plugs closely, it is easy to crack the porcelain.

It is unlikely that the COP has any issue or will for some time. Same tech that's been around and should last well past 200k
Not if you are ingesting large gulps of moisture like these trucks are known for
Old 08-21-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did change the boots with the plugs at about 110k. Currently at 128k. Is there any chance the cats are starting to plug up? No engine light and never have had one.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did the miss just start?
What did you gap your plugs too?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I have 113k on my 2012 Ecoboost, and I feel a slight hiccup every now and then, and it feels like I'm towing an anchor behind me when I accelerate from a red light. Seems like it takes forever to get it to rev up, then once it does it surges forward if that makes any sense. I have had a oil rise issue for a little while now and now I'm starting to lean towards a bad injector, causing 13mpg, rising oil, and possible plugged CAT converter. I do not have any CEL's at the moment, but I feel like as if the CATS are starting to become more restrictive. It may just be in my head though?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by PSI-FX4
I have 113k on my 2012 Ecoboost, and I feel a slight hiccup every now and then, and it feels like I'm towing an anchor behind me when I accelerate from a red light. Seems like it takes forever to get it to rev up, then once it does it surges forward if that makes any sense. I have had a oil rise issue for a little while now and now I'm starting to lean towards a bad injector, causing 13mpg, rising oil, and possible plugged CAT converter. I do not have any CEL's at the moment, but I feel like as if the CATS are starting to become more restrictive. It may just be in my head though?
Been toying with the same thing, but hard to find good data on what back pressure should be etc. No codes on mine either. I have been investigating clogged cats for almost a year. I will probably just bite the bullet and go catless downpipe soon and see.

I have 156k on mine and during first year of ownership ingested moisture several times which was known to knock out cats. Mine were never replaced with the tsb though since I had no code
Old 08-23-2016, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by PSI-FX4
Check all of the lines controlling the wastegates. I went over mine for about an hour today and found a slice in the line that runs from the boost control solenoid to the top of the passenger side wastegate. Tiny slice, like 1/4" and on the bottom of the line so it was very difficult to see.

I taped it up and have noticed a major difference in the 50 miles I have put on. I won't be ecstatic til I put 200 miles on as that's generally how long it takes everything to relearn. But so far truck is running best it has in years. It's more responsive, accelerates faster, builds boost faster, and doesn't sound like it's leaking air anymore.

My understanding is that line supplies air to the wastegate spring to add tension so it doesn't open prematurely. With that leaking, it means the wastegate didn't have enough tension on it and it was partially open when it shouldn't have been. This affects how quickly it builds boost, power, and mpg.

Just an idea
The following users liked this post:
codycat91 (03-22-2020)
Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I will check those lines this evening. Good tip!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Coil Over Plug Lifespan.