Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost breakin period???

Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecoboost breakin period???

What is the breakin period for the motor before you can tow???
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it's 1,000 miles.....I bet you a paycheck that you can find the answer in your owners manual....
Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by swiffer
I believe it's 1,000 miles.....I bet you a paycheck that you can find the answer in your owners manual....
You were right it was in the manual and it is 1k. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WHats the Best way to Break in an engine??
some say drive it like a Granny till 2000kms.
n there r others who say "Drive like its stolen "

just wondering, whats the Best way ???
Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
GIGGITY

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If its diesel, work it as hard as you can. Almost try to blow it up. Buuuut, youre not diesel. Drive kinda like a granny. Just dont hot rod it. Try to keep your rpm's low and youll be fine.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

All of this is bull. Drive it like your gonna drive it. Be normal. Don't baby it, don't try to break it just drive like you will a year from now. Manual says 1000 to tow, I don't necessarily agree, I don't think that's a break in thing, more of making sure its going to be ok before you load it down hard and most people are gonna put the grand on it pretty quick.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chalybs
All of this is bull. Drive it like your gonna drive it. Be normal. Don't baby it, don't try to break it just drive like you will a year from now. Manual says 1000 to tow, I don't necessarily agree, I don't think that's a break in thing, more of making sure its going to be ok before you load it down hard and most people are gonna put the grand on it pretty quick.
+1 Ford just wants to be sure everything is tight and in place. Poeple miss things at the plant and I wouldn't trust MOST when they do a pre-delivery inspection.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For the first 1k drive pretty much like normal except watch extreme rpms for the first 500. That was the advise of the head mechanic at Ford.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM

but doesnt the computer "learn" how you drive? so why would you drive it any differently from day one versus day 365? each to their own, but i have had the best luck just driving it like i usually would. dont tow much anymore, so that isnt an issue for me.

Last edited by gmcplus03; 08-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcplus03
but doesnt the computer "learn" how you drive? so why would you drive it any differently from day one versus day 365? each to their own, but i have had the best luck just driving it like i usually would. dont tow much anymore, so that isnt an issue for me.
Everything about the truck is brand new, and has never been in motion. The laws of physics will bring the engine together because each piece is its own separate part, and the motion of turning over and firing will seat these pieces together making it one gigantic part. The headgaskets will completely seal, and so will all other gaskets once everything has expanded and seated itself properly. However the main focus are the piston rings and cylinders, but I provided a link down below. Also when you buy a brand new item like a new audio system or computer do you sit there and hammer the thing until it breaks? No you baby it in and use it like you normally would because everything is still loose and needs tightening up. However I completely agree with whoever said drive it just like you would a year from now. That will make your truck cater to that exact style of driving, and you won't have any problems. Of course hitting the interstate a couple of times and giving it a little gas would also be helpful because the last thing you want is a babied truck. Everyone is basically right, but all of what they are saying is just one part of what you should do. Also Ford is just trying to cover their own *** so if any hot rodders get ahold of a new truck they won't be so tempted to thromp on it as much if they see something like that in the manual. It also acts as somewhat of a guideline for those who are wondering what a break in period is and how long you gotta do it.

Interesting Link.

P.S. Oh and Bucko doesn't parade this sub-category of the forums so you may wanna do a search next time if you're curious because I've already seen a few of these threads before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost breakin period???