Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Block Strength

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ecoboost Block Strength

With the new turbos being released by Full-Race I was wondering about strength of the ecoboost block and/or ability to handled high boost. Was reading this article over at the Livernois site http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...st-taurus-sho/ and this seems like a ton of work for 600 hp. I know they specialize on the Taurus but is the f150 block the same? If this really is the case it seems that most companies are at or near the mechanical limits of the block with a good tune and a few bolt ons. I remember reading another thread where the guy had all the bolt on goodies and 58mm turbos but could never get his truck to consistently run right. He claimed it was spark blowout but could this have had something to do with it? I'm not planning anything crazy like 600hp
I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this. I know some people have pretty lofty goals but tearing into the block is on another level that most average people aren't prepared to do. I know Full-Race has made some very impressive numbers already and would love to hear their opinion on this.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

You're making a step in the right direction - asking someone who isn't trying to sell you something, or someone who bought from them and have to defend their decision (and in turn tell you what they were told).

I can't speak to this, but I'll say that if the bore, stroke, and block material are the same between the Taurus and F-150, I'd imagine that they share a block. Not necessarily rotating assembly, but block at the minimum. I'll add that the F-150 "should" have a more stout rotating assembly.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

the F150 actually does have a different block due to the different mount bosses for the RWD layout rather than FWD. I believe the rotating assembly and camshafts are different as well, but I can't recall where I heard that from. the F150 does make more torque than the SHO/Flex/Explorer which tells me that something has to be different.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

The block is indeed different between the SHO and the F-150 Ecoboost as another member on here mentioned. We still recommend our upgraded rod and piston as a minimum for builds that are pushing near the 450+ Wheel HP range for safety and longevity. There are people out there that claim they have made more on the stock internals, but they are on borrowed time in my opinion. We prefer to build engines for the long haul that are not going to be basically a grenade with the pin out. We also recommend at that point to use premium fasteners as well such as our EcoBoost premium head studs and main studs.

For more information click here to view our 3.5 L EcoBoost internal engine components.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

The bottom end is plenty stout with the 6 bolt mains. My Grand National is pushing 500 hp with 2 bolt mains.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I think Ford's actions on the 2.7 Eco, iron block & offset rod caps, suggest the 2nd gen 3.5 will get the same treatment. When a current 3.5l gernades it is rod through block so it is reasonable to they they are related.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My understanding is rods are the weak point. And that happens to correspond with the fuel delivery limitations, somewhere around 450 - 500 rwhp.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 12-23-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Block Strength