Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost and 93- ITS ALL HYPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost and 93- ITS ALL HYPE

Hello!

I have been trolling this forum silently now for 6 months and have gleened lots of valuable info, but now i feel its time to speak. This post may be long-winded~you have been warned!

1st, I think I may be one of the oldest Ecoboost owners. I took mine home from the dealer in Mckinney TX Feb 25 2011. I drove the 5.0l first, but found the torque from the ecoboost to be more desirable.

I have dumped nothing but 87 in the tank, and yes for the first 3000 Miles Mileage was inconsistent at best. I never Log it, but i mentally keep track, i swear when i first got the truck it was a consistent 12MPG even on the highway. Then at 3k like magic i started getting 20'ish mpg feathering the throttle like one would hike up a virgins skirt.

I have done 3 major roadtrips- Dallas, TX to Katemcy, Dallas to Austin, Dallas to Nacogdoches. BEST MPG WITH 87 21MPG 70 MPH.

At 4k I switched to Rotella FULL synthetic oil. I have been reading about these so called putting 93 in the tank and feeling HP increases, or MPG increases. It finally got to me.

Yesterday my company wanted me in the office, So I had to drive from Dallas TX, to Houston TX. Instead of billing mileage, i used my company credit card to buy gas. First fill up was from a chevron 93 10% ethanol from 1/8 tank.

I left Dallas at 545 AM. Ambient Temp was around 81 all the way to houston, high humidity, I had the cruise control pegged at 70 MPH all the way to houston only had to take it off ONCE for a pass. MPG meter read 21.3MPG. I left houston around 2PM and drove back to dallas where the temp soard to 105 degrees. I finallly filled up for the first time on the southern edge of dallas. 21.3MPG hand calculated.

MY OPINION:

93 in the ecoboost is not WORTH A SH*T. Any and all of you claiming performance increase or MPG increase (WITHOUT A TUNE) are LYING TO YOURSELVES. I know what the owners manual says (High heat or towing conditions). I live in TEXAS. The only place hotter in the states would be ARIZONA or NEVADA.

FINALLY: I also have a Tandom Jetski Trailer. Its a roadmaster, holds a 2011 Yamaha VXR and a 2009 Yamaha FZR. At most and i mean this is assuming that trailer weighs alot, combined weight is 2500lbs.
When I tow, I consistently get 12-14MPG, no matter *light* i drive.

I AM FEELING A CASE OF BUYERS REMORSE ALMOST 6 MONTHS LATER.

The extra 1k on the sticker for 21mpg unloaded but 12-14MPG towing is not worth it. In my opinion, if the 5.0l guys are getting the better towing mileage....we have been had. If the 5.0l guys argument is true, that they get higher towing MPG......for the sake of V8 sound and strictly MPG numbers.....at this point I wish I bought one.

Oh...and I've never had a maintenance problem with this truck.

2011 F150 BLACK XLT 4X4
Ecoboost 3.55 Rear END
STOCK
~42 TIRE PSI
Short bed
Synthetic oil
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Well I've never even come close to getting 20mpg unloaded with any truck except a Ford Ranger.
Never got more than 10-12 mpg pulling with any 1/2 ton either.
Never had this much smooth silent and fun power....
Barely shifts cruising the highway where V8s kick down and make noise...
Only way I'm gonna have any remorse is if it falls apart,otherwise I'm hooked on the driving characteristics of the Ecoboost
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Heres my Photo Proof
Attached Thumbnails Ecoboost and 93- ITS ALL HYPE-img_0996.jpg   Ecoboost and 93- ITS ALL HYPE-img_0997.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

5.0 is getting better mpg towing (I can get over 12 and I'm amazed). But your unloaded seems awesome especially for 70 mph. It seems like you do more unloaded than towing so I wouldnt be worried. From what I can tell 93 is only better when towing but for performance not mpg.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Glad to hear you haven't had any maintenance problems, but I foresaw bad MPGs towing with the EcoBoost. Since it's such a small motor it's gonna build lottsa boost an use lottsa fuel because it's forcing in so much air. Thats the draw back of forced induction. However you have an insanely amazing torque curve and you will love towing with it.

Hope you get over your buyer's remorse! It's no fun making payments on something u don't like.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jswd60
5.0 is getting better mpg towing (I can get over 12 and I'm amazed). But your unloaded seems awesome especially for 70 mph. It seems like you do more unloaded than towing so I wouldnt be worried. From what I can tell 93 is only better when towing but for performance not mpg.
How much weight are you towing with that 5.0 and getting 12mpg ?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Oh I agree with you guys, unloaded is pretty damn awesome. I has a 2004 Dodge 4.7l 4x2 that would get 20mpg after I put Exhaust, Intake, and a CAM. in it.

The remorse stems from 2 factors.

We all know how much sexier a v8 sounds with a catback.

The MPG towing look better.

I just decided someone needs to end this 91+ octane debate. It maybe drove <5% smoother, but I do not want someone taking that and going 91+ GIVES ME MORE POWER.

THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE SAME!!!

I love my truck though. Texas Women love it! Just wish it sounded like a truck!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what you're towing as well... I was able to get 17 MPG out of mine towing a 16' fiberglass bass boat, not the heaviest thing in the world, but not THAT light. It sure kicked the old Ford Ranger's butt for the same trip pulling the same boat, that thing was lucky to get 10.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKurgan
How much weight are you towing with that 5.0 and getting 12mpg ?
11000 (yeah I was overweight but I was safe with it)
Im hoping to get 14+ pulling 6000 mustang and trailer
Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackf1502011

The remorse stems from 2 factors.

We all know how much sexier a v8 sounds with a catback.
I love my truck though. Texas Women love it! Just wish it sounded like a truck!
I guess to each his own. I think loud trucks are stupid. I mean why do you need a truck to sound like it is fast when it is not. A muscle car...now that's a different story. It sounds fast because it actually is.

Originally Posted by jswd60
11000 (yeah I was overweight but I was safe with it)
Im hoping to get 14+ pulling 6000 mustang and trailer
That is definitely better than the Ecoboost, but we do make up for it in daily driving which my truck does more of.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost and 93- ITS ALL HYPE