Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost and 4.10's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
srn
Newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost and 4.10's?

I posted in the ecoboost mileage thread but realized I was hijacking...
Thought I'd ask you'll your thoughts of running 4.10's in an ecoboost FX4, screw, 6.5 bed. Most of my work/ driving is in town payload/ trailer work with the occasional heavy *** toyhauler summer trips. Coming from cummins and duramax diesels, it always seemed the lower 4.10 gearing delivered better in town mileage and low end power. Currently I have an 08' screw, 5.4L w/ the 3.73's. Truck does okay, but I am really interested in the ecoboost... Especially missing the diesel low end torque. Just can't justify paying for diesel and I hate to jump into a F250 6.2L as it would be a little overkill and mileage would hurt when run'n around...

Ideas anyone? God bless you'll...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat, 6.7 Cummins. I am getting a EB with 373's. It's rated at 11,300 Lbs and you still get half way decent mileage. I will not be lifting or leveling so don't need 410's. If you plan on lifting you may want 410's.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 AM
srn
Newb

Originally Posted by gasbrnr
I was in the same boat, 6.7 Cummins. I am getting a EB with 373's. It's rated at 11,300 Lbs and you still get half way decent mileage. I will not be lifting or leveling so don't need 410's. If you plan on lifting you may want 410's.

Thanks for the reply buddy! I'm so glad to see they're finally put'n turbo technology into gas trucks... Hopefully they'll continue into the 3/4 and 1 ton! Ya, that 6.7 was a beast for sure... But with diesel the wait is, just to expensive to run. I'm really leaning towards the 3.73's for the "all around" function like you said. Just thinking if I throw a level kit and 33" tires on, the 4.10's may be a little better suited along with all the in town run'n around I do. Just don't know what it'd to to the hwy mileage... The amount I do on the hwy though is so minimal it probably won't matter.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by srn
Thanks for the reply buddy! I'm so glad to see they're finally put'n turbo technology into gas trucks... Hopefully they'll continue into the 3/4 and 1 ton! Ya, that 6.7 was a beast for sure... But with diesel the wait is, just to expensive to run. I'm really leaning towards the 3.73's for the "all around" function like you said. Just thinking if I throw a level kit and 33" tires on, the 4.10's may be a little better suited along with all the in town run'n around I do. Just don't know what it'd to to the hwy mileage... The amount I do on the hwy though is so minimal it probably won't matter.

You know, I think the 4.10's coupled with the EB would be awesome especially if you ran larger tires. Also, I think with the higher gearing in the 6 speed A/T, it would not be so bad even out on the open hwy/fwy on long trips, with respect to fuel economy.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
srn
Newb

Talking

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
You know, I think the 4.10's coupled with the EB would be awesome especially if you ran larger tires. Also, I think with the higher gearing in the 6 speed A/T, it would not be so bad even out on the open hwy/fwy on long trips, with respect to fuel economy.
That's what I'm think'n... If I wasn't going to change tire size, I'd probably just go the 3.73's like Gasbrnr mentioned. But maybe with the lower 4.10's and a nice seated 33" tire/ leveled body... I think sparks would fly and a boys dream could come true! It's probably sad, but does anyone else stay up late thinking about this? Ya, uh huh... Me neither.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been wobbling back and forth over 373/410's and decided to stay with 373's. All the 4X4's I had over the years were lifted, now that I'm getting older I'm staying stock. If anything a slightly taller tire with no lift!
With the price of gas it just doesn't make sense to lift em up any more.

I still like to see the big boys driving down the road though, doesn't hurt to look.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

3.73's sound to be the way to go unless you are planning on going with 35" or larger tires (in that case for sure get 4.10). People are getting the best fuel economy with 3.55 or numerically lower gears on stock size tires. I just ordered a lariat ecoboost with 3.73 and am planning on running between 33-34" tires and a 2" level. With 34" tires and 3.73 I will still have an effective gear ratio of around 3.51. Ecoboost with 3.55 is still rated to tow 9700lbs which is more then most any of us will tow. With 35" tires an 3.73 the effective gear ratio would fall to 3.41 which is numerically lower then I would ever go especially if planning on towing.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost and 4.10's?