Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost with 255 miles broken.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecoboost with 255 miles broken.

I just bought a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5 yesterday. I got about 100 miles into my trip home and it started missing real bad and then lost power. The check engine wrench flashed on the screen and I lost cruise control. I had to drive the rest of the 120 miles home in "limp mode". I went to take it into the shop this morning and when I started it the engine check light had reset. On the way to the local dealer it started to miss again and lost power. Both times this happened was on the highway as I was accelerating. I got to the dealer and dropped the truck off with 255 miles on it. The tech and the service manager drove it twice and could not reproduce the issue. I got back in the truck pulled out of the lot hit the gas and it happened right away. I pulled right back into the lot and they took it into the shop to read the codes. They said it had a ton of codes and some they had never seen before. They have to wait until Monday to talk to the Ford engineers to try to figure out the problem. They said it was something in the turbo system but not sure what.

I called the dealer I bought it from and it looks like they are going to trade out my truck for one on the lot that was ordered the exact same way. They ordered three trucks all loaded out the same so as long as the GM says ok they will just swap out the trucks since the paperwork has not been filed yet. So now I sit and wait for Monday.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...mud/image.jpeg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...imagecopy.jpeg
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Do you know the build date of the truck?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 PM

I don't have the build date. I know it would be on the drivers side door right? The truck is at the dealer.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Sharp looking truck. I have an '11 FX2. Good luck with your issues and let us know what happens.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by lawdog78
I don't have the build date. I know it would be on the drivers side door right? The truck is at the dealer.
Yes
If it was built before 9-18-12 it doesn't have the latest design intercooler. Since it had the condensation issue it was probably built before then.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure what state you live in but here, in NM, you have 3 days to return it for any reason. I would return that one for sure.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Look on your window sticker for an approximate build date. At the top you'll see a number with 2012 in it.

220121003 = 2012/10-03 (oct 3rd, 2012).
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5 yesterday. I got about 100 miles into my trip home and it started missing real bad and then lost power. The check engine wrench flashed on the screen and I lost cruise control. I had to drive the rest of the 120 miles home in "limp mode". I went to take it into the shop this morning and when I started it the engine check light had reset. On the way to the local dealer it started to miss again and lost power. Both times this happened was on the highway as I was accelerating. I got to the dealer and dropped the truck off with 255 miles on it. The tech and the service manager drove it twice and could not reproduce the issue. I got back in the truck pulled out of the lot hit the gas and it happened right away. I pulled right back into the lot and they took it into the shop to read the codes. They said it had a ton of codes and some they had never seen before. They have to wait until Monday to talk to the Ford engineers to try to figure out the problem. They said it was something in the turbo system but not sure what.

I called the dealer I bought it from and it looks like they are going to trade out my truck for one on the lot that was ordered the exact same way. They ordered three trucks all loaded out the same so as long as the GM says ok they will just swap out the trucks since the paperwork has not been filed yet. So now I sit and wait for Monday.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...mud/image.jpeg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...imagecopy.jpeg
That's déjà vu with what I experienced with my truck at 400 km. thankfully you get a new truck, I had to suffer with it being in the shop for a total of 45+ days on 3 different occurrences. My problem at first was a faulty injector, and later was the wiring connections on the ECU were loose, thus requiring a new ecu. 50k km now running good.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Ok so looking at the window sticker the truck was build on Jan 16 2013. I live in VA and it was raining and about 43 degrees outside. I had drove the truck about 80 miles and stopped to eat for about 30 min. I got in the truck after it being parked for about 30 min and got right back on the highway. Or I tried to anyway as I was speeding up to get on the highway it started missing and jerking. It did that about 3 times and 5 min later I get the wrench and loss of power.
The following users liked this post:
JC Turbo (02-26-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Ok so looking at the window sticker the truck was build on Jan 16 2013. I live in VA and it was raining and about 43 degrees outside. I had drove the truck about 80 miles and stopped to eat for about 30 min. I got in the truck after it being parked for about 30 min and got right back on the highway. Or I tried to anyway as I was speeding up to get on the highway it started missing and jerking. It did that about 3 times and 5 min later I get the wrench and loss of power.
One of my friends lives in Viirginia and has an early build 2011 and hasn't had this issue yet. He has around 23k miles on his truck.
Good to hear that they are going to swap your truck for another.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost with 255 miles broken.