Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB vs 5.0

Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default EB vs 5.0

New to this forum, have been poking around a few of the other forums over the past few months. In the market for a 2011+ F150, trying to decide between EB & 5.0. I will spend my evening looking through the pages of threads here, but I do have a question.

Has anyone out there with an EB considering (or already done) a moderate lift (4-6") running 35s? I've seen all of the towing tests between the 5.0 & EB, but can't seem to find any good data from anyone running something close to 35s who can confirm how much of a hit the MPGs have taken with the EB specifically. I know both engines are going to take a hit, my question is really whether or not one engine is better suited for this scenario than the other.

My plan is to lift and run 35s, but I'm really stuggling with the engine. The answer may be they are so close, it's not worth worrying about, not sure. I figured I'd ask in case there is helpful insight I might be missing. I'm leaning towards the EB because of the torque, but it seems to take a bigger MPG hit when under a load (towing) vs the 5.0. While running 35s is not nearly the same as towing a 7K trailer, the bigger tires are an increased load above stock, and not sure how the EB will respond. If the MPGs between the engines even out in the case of using bigger tires, seems like the only advantage with the EB is the increased torque, and not sure if that is signifiant enough to warrant one over the other. While the EB may perform better on paper as a stock vehicle, the question is how the 5.0 & EB compare when running something in the 35" tire range. If the EB ultimately works harder full time in this case, this type of mod could close some of the current minor performance gaps.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcomed, and thank you.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I *thought* I wanted the EB until I drove the 5.0 and saw the incentive deals. Made the 5.0 decision easy. I might have picked the 5.0 on the sound alone.

Leveling kit and 285/55/R20 Nitto TG's added

I did 3330 miles with a 3K trailer and averaged 13.5 MPG for the trip. Without the trailer I am doing a bit over 16 in mixed driving.

I remain a happy guy.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

U got alot more details that are needed.
What kind of lift? Level, 4", 6", bilsteins?
U gonna run stock wheels or aftermarket wheels and what kind of weight etc
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Shampoo is betta
No, Conditioner is betta
No, Shampoo is betta

.......shtop looking at me shwan

On a serious note, I will be doing a lift in the next year or so. I am wanting 6" lift, 18" wheels, 35" tall, with fender flares, and I will be complet
Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

All of my details are still being worked out....haven't decided my complete set up yet. Thinking 4-6" lift (not sure what brand), also not sure about the shock set up. Would likely go aftermarket 18-20" wheels (I like BMFs if they make 'em for an F-150 application), and a 35" MT of some sort...likely Toyo.

Truck config would be SCREW, 6.5 bed, 4WD. Would occasionally tow (Summer time primarily) a 4500lb boat + people/gear, so maybe 6-7K lbs max. Average eight 400 mile round trips per year on relatively flat terrain with some rolling hills and an occasional steep grade.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Go Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
All of my details are still being worked out....haven't decided my complete set up yet. Thinking 4-6" lift (not sure what brand), also not sure about the shock set up. Would likely go aftermarket 18-20" wheels (I like BMFs if they make 'em for an F-150 application), and a 35" MT of some sort...likely Toyo.

Truck config would be SCREW, 6.5 bed, 4WD. Would occasionally tow (Summer time primarily) a 4500lb boat + people/gear, so maybe 6-7K lbs max. Average eight 400 mile round trips per year on relatively flat terrain with some rolling hills and an occasional steep grade.
The 5.0 with tow package would work fine for you and you wouldn't have to worry about relatively new technology like direct injection. If the 5.0 is as reliable as the final iterations of the earlier mod motors it should last forever. You also won't have to worry about extended OCIs and the effect that DI has on the oil (fuel dilution and shear).
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big thing with me on buying these trucks is that I want it to sound like a V8 and snarl when I hit the gas. I also like to lightly mod my trucks and the 5.0 is the same motor they put in the new mustang. So we are going to see Intakes/exhaust/Headers soon for both.

That and the 5.0 was cheaper to buy and you have my decision right there.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
A big thing with me on buying these trucks is that I want it to sound like a V8 and snarl when I hit the gas. I also like to lightly mod my trucks and the 5.0 is the same motor they put in the new mustang. So we are going to see Intakes/exhaust/Headers soon for both.

That and the 5.0 was cheaper to buy and you have my decision right there.
I agree with whisky completely about the V8 sound. The 5.0 put a grin on my face that I couldn't wipe off.... Yet I ended up ordering an ecoboost. On the opposite end of the spectrum I liked the smoothness and quietness of the ecoboost and the relentless low and mid range power (where the rpms are going to be 90% of the time). I had to drive both engines twice before I could finally make that hard decision. I'm hoping to fill my lurking 5.0 desires with a mustang
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The Ecoboost with its high low end torque should be able to get you rolling easier, but either engine is going to get the job done at the end of the day.

Note that the lowest gear ratio available, the 4.10, is only available with the Ecoboost in the FX4 or the 6.2 liter in the Raptor

Jury's still out on which one gets better fuel economy under load - I'm betting there's no difference on it.

At 60 MPH, with the 4.10 rear end, you'll be running at 1,630 RPM, at 70 you'll be running at 1,901 RPM

With the 3.73 you'll be running at 1,483 RPM at 60 MPH, 1,730 RPM at 70 MPH

So - my experience with my Ecoboost has been that they get their absolute best fuel economy at 1,500 RPM, but they have their best power at about 2,000 RPM.

My only statement on gearing - Mine has plenty of power at 1,500 RPM, it will pull a 6-8% grade without even unlocking the TC if it gets to that part of the RPM band. I have stock tires on 3.73 gearing. I wish mine would cruise at 1,500, but with stock tires its closer to 1,900 RPM at 70 MPH - it definitely doesn't need to be spinning that fast Not sure what the load of the bigger tires would do to it - you'd probably just get to hear the turbo whine a bit more often.

I left the 5.0 off my reply cause I never even test drove one so I'm not qualified to comment lol
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

i'ld go 5.0, less to worry about (yes i've seen the torture tests) and an awesome sound plus its only 5 hp less so unless you're running your truck in the mountains a lot I wouldn't worry about difference in power

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EB vs 5.0